Is :Éveryday Questions'suitable for high school students

Hi - I completed the Core Module and got very inspired to lead small group studies in Apologetics. I have had a look at the Everyday Questions study and was wondering if anyone has used this study with high schoolers. Is it suitable for high schoolers as a first apologetics study/discussion?
I am an educationist and very keen to equip students with tools for learning and defending the truth.
Thanks

Elizabeth

1 Like

Hi @Elizabeth1,

We’ve heard from high schoolers that they have gone through Everyday Questions and enjoyed it!

However, you may wish to review it first, as one scenario, for instance, evaluates a conversation with a high school student from the parents’ point of view. This could be fascinating and very helpful or a poor fit depending upon your context?

Hi @Elizabeth1,

Thank you for your question. Fall 2019, I used RZIM Everyday Questions curriculum with a small group in my home for adults, but my education and experience is with teaching high schoolers and college students. Because I have recently used the materials, I would identify a few things to consider regarding content, format, and time allotment.

1. Content Knowledge – You will be familiar with some of the content (origin, meaning, morality, and destiny) and the presenters (Ravi, Michael Ramsden, Andy Bannister, Abdu Murray, Stuart McAllister, and John Njoroge) because of your completion of the Core Module. This prior knowledge should serve you well for preparation to use the curriculum. Topics will be similar to Core Module.

2. Curriculum Format - The small group format of this curriculum will include (1) an opening prayer, (2) an introduction to the weekly topic, (3) a 20-30 minute video presentation, (4) a small group interaction activity (role playing specific conversations with characters), (5) small group discussion questions, (6) topic challenge, (7) closing prayer, and (8) weekly application of content. These course items are written very well and in such a way that they are complementary to one another and make sense used together in sequence. However, they do not necessarily separate to use individually/alone without some work on the part of the teacher/small group leader.

3. Time allotment – I allotted 1 hour and 30 minutes for my small group and we could not get through the weekly material. If you plan to have meaningful conversations about the topics you will need at least 2 hours or split the material between introduction and watching video in one session with some discussion and then a follow-up session for additional conversations, role play, questions, challenge, and real-life application.

As for your question, I think high schoolers could benefit from the exposure to the content and the real-life role play scenarios in the curriculum. This curriculum would allow for high schoolers to express their own life questions and learn how to engage in meaningful conversations.

In my experience, the length of the video may be a bit long for high schoolers to watch and maintain full attention, but pausing the video at strategic moments for discussion could be a solution. Also, if the high schoolers do not readily engage in the role playing, an alternative would be for the teacher/leader to use the content as case studies for discussion. This would require a little work on the leader’s part, but you would know your students best and how to serve them. I’m not suggesting changing the role play component before you encourage student engagement, but if you are experiencing lack of meaningful engagement in the role play, an alternative may be helpful.

High school students could definitely grasp the material and may enjoy being challenged to think about real-life conversations and investigate worldview topics.

Thank you again for your question. God bless you as you seek to equip the next generation with the life-giving truth of the Gospel.

Angie

1 Like