Is God all knowing, all powerful?

In the Bible, it is said that God is all knowing, all powerful, omnipresent etc, etc. But if we have a freewill then he would not know what course of action we will be taking in the future. If he knows what we will be doing then that’s not freewill. We were already hard wired according to his will. And if he does not know then he is not all knowing and that means not all powerful.

2 Likes

Hello @Tsapise

If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, then He knows the course of our actions, if He knows then we are hard wired.

If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, then He does not know the course of our actions, then He is not all-knowing and all-powerful at all.

Great question. :smiley:

I want to share 2-3 line of thoughts on this one.

1.) Stephen Hawking gave a message at Lady Mitchell Hall in 1980 about “Free will and Determinism.” He is a known physicist at that time, in his talk he concluded that we are all totally determined. However, he added one thought that makes the congregation moaned, he said that “I don’t know what’s being determined or else I’m not be.”

His own claim that we are determined was demolish when he said he does not know what’s being determined, therefore he has free will.

2.) The moment we claim that we are determined, we need to ask ourselves if we are making a “truth claim.” If others said that we are determined, is that a truth claim? Why? Because if we claim a truth claim, we are rising above the bondage of total subjectivity and we are violating determinism.

Those who claim that we are determined, yet said it was a truth claim, that is self-condratictory in itself. Truth claim is claimed by those who have freedom of the will and choose to claim that belief.

3.) Yes, God is all-knowing, but His foreknowing does not cause the action. For example, God knows that what you will wear this day, yet He does not force or set some mechanical response for you to choose it. You practice your free will on that situation.

And if we are determined by God’s power, then there should be no evil, why? Because His desire for us is to come to Him and repent. Look around us, is that what happening? At some point, no. What does imply? We have free will to choose Him or not, to choose good or evil.

If by God’s foreknowing and power He control our free will, it and of itself is self-contradictory.

In a world where there is good and evil, freedom of the will must remain in the paradigm. But it does not demolish the foreknowing and power of God.

Thank you for reading this.
I hope this one helps.

2 Likes

If i have the freewill whether to wear a red shirt or blue shirt. God would’nt know my choice. if he knows then like i said above we are already hard wired according to his will.

Hello @Tsapise

To respond to this, God knows what you will wear. He already see it because He is all-knowing, yet again His foreknowing does not cause your action.

Foreknowing is different from forcing your action.

Can I ask you? How can you say God does not know your choice? Are you beyond God’s foreknowing?

Thank you so much.

That is a very good question @Tsapise - and one that I wondered about for a long time until I read something by C. S. Lewis that finally helped me see God’s omniscience and man’s free will in a new light.

At first, they do seem contradictory - because, as you say, if God already foreknows what I will choose, and He can never be wrong, then while I may seem to have a free choice about the decision, in practical reality my choices are reduced to that one thing that God already foreknew I would choose.

But here’s the thing - when we talk about God foreknowing something, we’re really speaking from the human point of view. From God’s point of view, there really isn’t any future, any past. He is the eternal I AM - the ever present One. Everything is simultaneously present with Him. He is completely unbound by time. He is both throughout all times and beyond all times - at the same time. He is still in all of your yesterdays and already in all your tomorrows. He is “everywhen” at once!

Dr. Albert Einstein once said that “time is what keeps everything from happening at once.” We finite mortals could not handle everything coming at us at once, so we need to experience things in temporal increments - Matthew 6:34. But God has no problem taking in everything at once.

So does God already know what color shirt you will choose to wear tomorrow? Of course He does, because God is already in your tomorrow watching you wear it. And as C. S. Lewis put it, “To watch someone do something is not at all the same as to make them do it.”

I hope this helps to resolve the difficulty for you.

2 Likes

Does God know whether i will be in hell or in heaven?

Hello @Tsapise

I cannot fully give an answer to this question because I’m not God.

But one thing rest assured, God sovereignty and Man’s responsibility.
We have the part to take and the Bible assures us that the just God shall do what is right.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world that He give His one and only son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but shall have eternal life.”

I would like to suggest, that if we focus our concern on eternity, we will never get to take the first step of faith here in the present - accepting Jesus and starting a personal relationship with Him

Again, the God of the Bible is just and He shall do that what is right.

Thank you so much.

Well, certainly God knows, but even more important is, do you already know whether you’ll be in hell or heaven? If you have trusted the crucified and risen Christ as the perfect sacrifice to pay for your sins, and the resurrected Savior Who will raise you to everlasting life, then you can face this life and the next with absolute assurance of where you’ll be!

Please let me know if you have any questions about that!

This is a good question and I would like to offer some support to @domingoosabel point that for God’s foreknowledge of an event is not the same thing as a being predestine. Here is an example that I used some months back.

10 And David said, “O Yahweh, God of Israel, your servant has clearly heard that Saul is seeking to come to Keilah to destroy the city because of me. 11 Will the rulers of Keilah deliver me into his hand? Will Saul come down as your servant has heard? O Yahweh, God of Israel, please tell your servant!” And Yahweh said, “He will come down.” (fore knowledge or predestination?) 12 Then David said, “Will the rulers of Keilah deliver me and my men into the hand of Saul?” And Yahweh said, “They will deliver you.” (fore knowledge or predestination?) 13 So David and his men got up, about six hundred men, and went out from Keilah and wandered wherever they could go (free will?). When it was told to Saul that David had escaped from Keilah, ⌊he stopped his pursuit⌋ (freewill?).
(Sa 23:10–13 LEB)

The bold is my emphasis.

I think we see God’s foreknowledge but we also see that it did not come to past as the results of the choice of both David and Saul.

I think that it important to understand that for free will to exist there has to be choice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the support of the thought.

1 Like

I once heard Vince Vitale speak on this subject. He said sometimes parents know exactly what their child is about to do in a specific situation because they know the child so well. Their deep knowledge of their child does not mean they are controlling his/her actions.

I hope this doesn’t simplify your question too much. If God knows what choice your going to make, that fact in no way undermines your ability(Freewill) to make it. He knows if you’ll wear the red shirt or if you’ll put it on and then decide you want to wear a blue one instead. He knows if you’ll accept His son Jesus Christ as your savior and be in heaven forever, or if you’ll deny Him and choose separation from God. God exists outside of time, which He would have to… He must exist outside of time so that he isn’t bound by its laws. He must exist outside of time to be able to create time. I hope that helps, this question certainly can be discussed at length if needed.