Is India experiencing any widespread secularization as western thought and science becomes more prevalent and the Indian people spend more time in STEM education? If so, how would this help or hinder in spreading the Gospel?

Hey there Jacob,
I had a chance to interview a Hindu friend who is a native Indian. His worldview sounded like there is a persistent “spiritualism” and an appreciation for religiousity. But he made it quite clear that he felt most people do not really believe in the supernatural as much as common good will towards others will help propel good thoughts and actions. Through meditation, one can be better connected to this world, but there seems to be little by way of a religious understanding or expectation of the supernatural.

My question: is India experiencing any widespread secularization as western thought and science becomes more prevalent and the Indian people spend more time in STEM education? If so, how would this help or hinder in spreading the Gospel?

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,
Thank you so much for your question. Yes it is true that India is a land of spirituality and appreciation for religion. The existence of God is a presupposition that almost all people share.
Regarding the education system and secularisation, well it is true that because of the STEM education people’s mindsets are changing. But this is a good thing because now they are more rational and logical in their thinking which is making them relook at their religious beliefs and the ideas of supernaturalism in it. But do note that this is among the middle and upper middleclass in India who have access to such type of education. A lot of the Indians do not fall under this category and their worldview is steeped in the supernaturalism and other fantastical aspects of Hinduism.
My opinion is that because of the advent of science and critical thinking, apologetics becomes a very useful tool to spread the Gospel. They are unsatisfied with their inherent religious practices and is looking for a certain level of rationality when it comes to God and worship, which their religion just doesn’t seem to offer. This has also resulted in many emerging Hindu apologists who are giving a rational defence for Hinduism and showing it to be rationally tenable. This is a significantly new phenomenon in India as Hinduism has never sought to or found the need to be this way before. I am attaching a few links of those who are in the forefront of such an endeavour

So yes I do believe that the education system does help in spreading the Gospel and Apologetics is needed in India than ever before. People are open to listening and is hungry for a God who makes sense in the mind as much as He does in the heart.
2 Likes