Is it appropriate for a believer to indulge in wine?

Are christians allow to take wine at all

3 Likes

Welcome to Connect Eric

Your question is a common one that is asked. I believe there is a couple things for you to consider as you answer this question. First Jesus turned water into wine in John 2. It can be deduced from Jesus’s actions that at a certain level drinking wine is allowed because Jesus would not create wine to entice people to sin. Paul also instructs Timothy to drink a little wine for health reasons in 1 Timothy 5:23.

That being said we are told to always be self-controlled. Titus 2:3 instructs women not to be addicted to much wine. In Titus 2:10 we are also told that we are not to be controlled by worldly passions. In other words the wine is not to have control over us. If we get into situations where wine is controlling us, we are not allowing ourselves to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. The other thing to consider before consuming wine is whether we are going to be a stumbling block (cause someone else to sin) to those around us. 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 instructs us that whatever we eat or drink we are not to cause someone else to stumble. Other people have areas that they are not mature in and so we don’t want to cause them to be tempted beyond what they can bare. May the Lord guide you as you discern your actions in any given situation.

5 Likes

Hello Eric, That question always deserves a responce. It is a very personal thing for most people. There are certain principles in the Bible that can guide our decision in this. I will share a few passages with you that have helped give me clarification as to truth.

Matthew 22:37‭-‬40 NKJV
Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Mark Chapter 9 is another passage that has helped me.

Don Baker shared well other insights.

Hope you find wisdom in our responce.
Mike

“Whatever impairs the tenderness of your conscience, Whatever takes away your relish for things spiritual, Whatever obscures your sense of God, That is sin to you, no matter how innocent it may seem in itself.”
-Susanna Wesley

1 Like