Is it Appropriate for a Christian to "celebrate" Halloween?

(Sven Janssens) #1

So, today after church we were at the table and this young girl asks me; Does God mind for me to celebrate Halloween?
Her mom looked at me, shrugged expecting me to answer that question.
I said: Well, my point of view is that is not okay to celebrate Halloween.
Her grandfather replied; Well, it is part of our culture.

I did not get into a debate right there, but I did say that we can not put culture over God.

How you guys think about that? What should be an appropriate reply for a child with a question like that judgmental?

Bless you, have a great sunday.

(SeanO) #2

@Sventje Thank you for that question. Here are a few articles I hope you will find useful. I have seen Churches do something called ‘Trunk or Treat’, where everyone in the Church decorates their trunk and hands out candy - as an alternative to going through the neighborhood. My personal feeling is that there is nothing wrong with dressing up and passing out candy - especially within a community where people know each other, but I think the darker side of the holiday - the grotesque side - is what is not healthy. For example, I never go to haunted houses or to horror movies - in my opinion, those are not things that honor God or celebrate life.

The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom as you engage with folks in your Church.

"That is, some who say, “We don’t want anything to do with that demonic holiday! Why would you even be involved with that at all?” And others who would have their children dress up as a butterfly and go knocking on doors and say, “Trick or treat!” And then in the middle would be people who do counter events, like a thing at the church where you dress up like biblical characters and have a great time.

I’m totally OK with the middle one and the first one. And sort of OK with the second one. I grew up trick-or-treating. We were pretty serious trick-or-treaters, right into teenage years."

"The truth is that I have several convictions regarding Halloween. I despise the pagan aspects of it. I am convicted that my children should not dress as little devils or ghosts or monsters. But I am also convicted that there could be no worse witness to the neighbours than having a dark house, especially in a neighbourhood like ours which is small and where every person and every home is highly-visible. We know that, if we choose not to participate, the neighbors will notice and will smile knowingly, supposing that we feel too good to participate.

. . . Our door will be open and the light will be on. And we trust that the Light will shine brightly."

(C Rhodes) #4

@Sventje. As I child, so much of our life revolved around our church. Halloween was not a celebration in which we uniformly engaged. Nor did we trick or treat. But there was always a rigorous discussion about its legitimacy. Our church recognized the unfairness that the children would feel when completely barred from participation. So, our church retooled the celebration and made it a teaching moment. My Mom was the Creative Director and so the teenagers would perform plays on that evening, that made you sure you did not want any parts of hell. We had a gymnasium so from one end to the other were games and treats. Our costumes were from the stories of the Bible.

I guess my answer to that child is GOD does not have a problem with our having fun, but how and why we have fun could make the celebration a bad one. I would explore with that child and their parent the legitimacy of the celebration. And, as I do with any little people near me, I use the celebration as an opportunity to search the Scriptures about ghost, goblins, witches and etc. Those are true spine-tinglers.

Lastly, we consider it a time similar to Proverbs 13:22. We do a “pirate’s booty run” on the half-priced candy left from the celebration. I pass out big bags of “pirates booty” to every child and adult at Sunday school. Of course, the term “booty” gets a lot of giggles. But it still provides the opportunity to examine the meaning of inheritance of the wicked.

(Tessa Fox) #6

I grew up a catholic and Halloween was acceptable. Even as a child I never felt right in my heart participating. My personal conviction is that it is wrong and to participate would be a detour from the path (following Christ). It is built around fear and originates in occult practices. It’s not that I am being self-righteous - Each person must listen to the conviction of the Holy Spirit. It’s not fun to me. So many other ways to meet people and socialize. God has not given us a spirit of fear but of love and power and self discipline. His grace abounds in us and He is all we need.

(Corey Alan Patterson) #7

Okay so moving on a little bit further in this topic. In one of the articles by Justin Holcomb “What Christian Should Know About Halloween?” , he writes: “For those still bothered by Halloween’s historical association with evil spirits, Martin Luther has some advice on how to respond to the Devil: “The best way to drive out the Devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.” Perhaps instead of fleeing the darkness in fear, we should view Halloween as an opportunity to mock the enemy whose power over us has been broken.”

Now I understand that I am free and should not fear the evil one… But to mock the evil one… what is your thoughts on this?

And can you explain this scripture verse for me if we can mock the devil?

Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.
Jude 1:9‭-‬10 NKJV

P.S. of course I do see that he also wrote , “The best way to drive out the Devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture”.

(Sven Janssens) #8

Thank you for your response.
I will read it a couple of times before really replying to it.

Bless ya :blush: