Is it ok for a Christian to practice Yoga for its physical benefits?

Hi Jacob, I would like to ask you one more question. Thank you once again for your response to my above questions. I’m learning.
I see a lot of debate going on related to Christians and Yoga. My question is should a Christian practice Yoga in the line of practicing it just for physical therapy (fitness) ? Will it be a sin if a Christian practicing it without thinking of any spiritual matters of Hinduism but just for the benefit of the body i.e fitness?

2 Likes

Hi Sam,
Yes you are right. There is a huge debate on yoga in the Christian world. With views ranging from complete acceptance to complete rejection. I tend to lean towards the more cautious side of the debate. The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit word to unite and this unity is towards ‘ultimate reality’. It is difficult to separate the deep Hinduistic worldview and framework from the practice of yoga and just see it as a mere physical exercise. So my advice is to proceed with a lot of caution before you start any of the practices.
My friend and colleague Balajied Nongrum has done a lot of research on the subject and I am attaching an article and an interview done by him on the subject.
Is ‘Yoga’ merely a set of physical exercises?
What are the spiritual roots of yoga?

2 Likes