Is Jesus God or the Son of God?

Hi, is Jesus God or Son of God. In the Bible we see throughout Jesus is introduced as Son of God. ( If someone say (Jehovah Witness), Jesus is Not God, but he is unique. What reply or answer I am suppose to give from the Bible?

3 Likes

Hi Santhosh @Santhosh_CV
There are many who believe that Jesus was just a prophet or a “unique man”. However, Scripture is full of prophecies and testimonies of those who were with Him, and statements from Jesus, Himself, showing that He is God.
I have copied a link of the many Scriptures showing that He is God. I hope this will be helpful.
http://bugman123.com/Bible/JesusIsGod.html
Rather than try to present an apologetic approach to proving that Jesus is God, I’d prefer to let the Scriptures speak for themselves.
However, there are historical and eye witness accounts as well. Check out “Forensic Faith” by J. Warner Wallace. There are other books, but this one is my favorite in explaining Jesus’ Deity so clearly because it was written by a former atheist who also was an LA cold case detective. He came to faith by reading Scripture the way a detective would study and solve a case. He also wrote “Cold Case Christianity” prior to writing “Forensic Faith”. That book would be equally helpful.
I hope these suggestions will be useful in your replies to those who say Jesus is not God.

Thanks Sharon, I am going through the link you shared. I live in Northampton, Western Australia. I am dealing with Jehovah Witness people, they use to visit my house and share a lot of things about Jehovah. I have no problem believing in Jehovah, because I believe, those who acknowledge the father acknowledge the Son and those who believe in Jesus acknowledge the father. ( The problem for me, when they use to say, Jesus is not God, but he is unique, only father God is Almighty and Son is the first born created by Jehovah)

Hello Santhosh,

We see in the Bible that Jesus is introduced as the only begotten Son of God(John 3:16). To say this gives us a reference that we as human beings can understand. Jesus came into the world as a fully human man, but He was also fully God. When we look at God we see something that is far different from what we are truly capable of comprehending. Here on Earth, each person is a separate being. However, when we look at the Trinity we see that what exists is three persons existing in unity within one being.
Think of a square. A shape with four sides that is drawn on a piece of paper. If we think of ourselves in these terms then each human is one separate square. In this two-dimensional example we understand that each shape is its own separate entity, just as each human being is their own separate person. But if we then look up into the next dimension of a square, we see that a cube is still made up of squares, but in this case it is six of them that make up one single shape. In our own smaller dimension, trying to understand such a complex idea as a single being that is made up of more than one person is not fully possible, we can imagine, but imagination usually only gets us so far before it can take us no further.
Now in understanding this we can more easily approach the concept that Jesus is part of this triune being. Do not make the mistake that is common of thinking that because this is broken into terms that we can understand that it fully explains God to us. Trying to understand what the relationship between God the Father and God the Son is like is simply not possible. We may as well try to comprehend infinity. Our minds are simply not capable of fully understanding such things.
But when we look at what Jesus said during His time on the earth we something that is undeniable. Either He was what He claimed to be, or He was the greatest lunatic ever known. Now we obviously know that Jesus was not a lunatic, yet, His claims are that He is both infinite and has dominion over a kingdom that is not of this world. He states in John 8:58, “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am,” and then in John 18:36, Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world." These are not the claims of a “Unique” person. These are the claims of one who either is in unity with God, who is part of God Himself, His Son, or of someone who is completely insane. However, to look at all the work and wisdom of Jesus and then claim that he was crazy would be crazy in itself. Jesus was not insane, He was exactly who He claimed to be.
So, all that long-winded description to say this, that Jesus is both. He is the Son of God, He is God. We cannot try to understand God in our own terms. We will fail. God is a trinity of three distinct persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are all God, and they are all their distinct person. Can we understand that? Perhaps a bit, but in our current form we can never truly grasp such an idea with full understanding, because we are so limited and finite. Hopefully this long driveling on will help you to have some more talking points, or help you find some parts of the Bible to give you a better understanding of who God is and how the Son fits into His being. I would be quite a liar to tell you that I have a grasp on it, but I hope that I have helped. If you have any other questions please ask them. God bless you and thank you.

Hello here are some resources that really helped me,

“But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.””
‭‭John‬ ‭11:4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

And here Jesus is referring to Himself as the Son of God

This might not be a perfect analogy, but this is the best I can do is that God, Elohim is like a cloud. The cloud produces lightning, rain and thunder, but it all comes from the same place. These are different manifestations of God at work.

According to what I remember they believe Jesus is not part of the Trinity. John 1: 1 is simple evidence of Jesus being God and part of the Trinity.