Is Jesus our brother?

(New Kiratu Joseph) #1

Can we refer to Jesus as our brother. Particular when he refers to “My father”

(Keith Moore) #2

Great question @New_Kiratu_Joseph. I would be interested to know what you think. Is it a normal way of refering to Jesus where you are?
I have thought about this a few times. I first thought about it when I was in Egypt and showed a small child a picture of Jesus. I asked the child (who was from a Christian family) who the picture was of and they replied “Papa Yasua” (Papa Jesus). I had never heard of Jesus referred to as ‘Father’ in any way before and that got me thinking about our relationship to Him. The Bible says that we are co-heirs with Christ, adopted children of the Father, and Jesus encourages us to pray to ‘our’ Father. Jesus says He no longer called His disciples (and by extension us?) servants but friends.
However, when I read the epistles Peter and Paul refer to themselves as servants and apostles of Jesus. They also use the title Lord. James, who traditionally is thought to be the literal half-brother of Jesus refers to himself as a ‘servant of the Lord Jesus’, and Jude, also traditionally thought to be a half-brother of Jesus mentions he is a brother of James and a ‘servant of Jesus Christ’.
So, for me personally, I am grateful and excited to be a ‘friend’ of Jesus. I am privileged that I get to share the honour of calling Jesus’ Father my own heavenly Father, but despite this closeness, when referring to Jesus, I tend to follow the example set by the New Testament authors.

2 Likes
(Luna) #3

I think it’s okay to refer to him as your brother in the understanding that we are co-heirs. But not in the sense that we are the same as him when it comes to Authority, lordship, Power etc. When you cross over into that you can get into some strange beliefs similar to Mormans, such as believing we will become gods.

I mean I refer to Jesus as my first love, boyfriend, husband. But it has no sexual representation but more so representing the fact I am in deep spiritual intimacy with him.

2 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #4

I have always liked this verse when thinking about begin a brother to Jesus. I especially like the thought that he is no burdened of shamed by calling us his brothers and sisters but he revels in it before the father.

11 For both the one who sanctifies and the ones who are sanctified are all from one, for which reason he is not ashamed to call them brothers,
12 saying,
“I will proclaim your name to my brothers;
in the midst of the assembly I will sing in praise of you.”
13 And again,
“I will trust in him.”
And again,
“Behold, I and the children God has given me.”
(Heb 2:11–13 LEB)

This is an incredible text. Verse 10 speaks of Jesus as God’s cocreator, yet he became human. This same Jesus brought many sons into the divine family. Far from being embarrassed before the elohim of his own council at becoming human—becoming lesser for a short time—Jesus revels in it. Standing in the council (“in the midst of the assembly”) he presents us: Behold—look at me, and the children Yahweh has given me. We are all together now—forever. And that was the plan from the beginning:
Heiser, M. S. (2015). The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible (First Edition, pp. 318–319). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

(New Kiratu Joseph) #5

Am utterly glad for your response in this line of thinking. Your answer is coherent and helpful, if one is to look at Christ from different dimensions. Even his half brothers acknowledged his deity and addressed him appropriately as Lord.

(New Kiratu Joseph) #6

Thank you for your response. Yes we’re not same with him in power authority etc. its important to treat the titles of Christ with uttermost awe and reverence. being I Am and a member of the Trinity.
Thank you

(Roy Sujanto) #7

Hi @New_Kiratu_Joseph,

What an awesome thought!

He is afterall a true brother who will die for another brother.

As laid out by our brothers in the posts above, I also had no qualms with regarding Him as a brother.

Most importantly:

1. We don’t stop there, but we also acknowledge divine nature, His Godhood, and Lordship.
  2. In fact, it’s not limited to the above, but He is also our lover, our groom, our teacher, etc, all simultaneously.
  3. As long as it is not weird and relatable, so you don’t alws have to explain urself to people around u everytime. LOL

Blessings in Christ,
Roy

1 Like