Is Jesus Still In His Human Body Today?

(Lorna Abwonji) #1

Hi guys
I host a weekly Bible study and we had an interesting debate come up that would love to get your views on
One of them is if Jesus is still in His human body today. Some of us believed He still is some disagreed.
Those who believed He still is, is because He had to die for us and He had to become man to do so. [Revelation 5:6 also mentions the Lamb that appears to have been killed]
The others believe that since He was glorified so He is no longer in human form and even for us believers when we are glorified we would not have our human form.

The other thing that came up is if Jesus went to Heaven first after resurrection before revealing Himself to the disciples. John 20: 17 seems to show that Jesus did not want her to touch Him because He was going to the Father. Some of us took it to mean that He was going to Heaven first then come back and reveal Himself to the disciples [looking at the resurrection as a separate trip to Heaven as the ascension] the rest saw it differently that Jesus and resurrection was just about His human body coming back to life and accession was His glorified body going to Heaven [since He is no longer human

anyone with some insight on this or a different point of view

(SeanO) #2

@Lorna_Abwonji That is a great question. It is clear from Scripture that our heavenly body will be like Christ’s heavenly body, which directly implies that yes, Jesus still has His resurrected body, whatever that means. He could walk through walls and eat food. Therefore when Jesus ascended He ascended in His new resurrected human body.

Philippians 3:20-21 - But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

“So, we know that the Christian will have a heavenly body like Jesus’ “glorious body” (Philippians 3:21). At His incarnation Jesus took on human flesh, and at His resurrection His body was glorified—although He retained the scars (John 20:27). He will forever be the God-Man, sacrificed for us. Christ, the Creator of the universe, will forever stoop to our level, and He will be known to us in heaven in a tangible form that we can see, hear, and touch (Revelation 21:3–4; 22:4).”

“However, we need to be careful that we don’t reduce the significance of Jesus’ humanity to the cross. If the cross was all that Jesus needed to be a human for, then his on-going humanity wouldn’t be necessary. But, in fact, the New Testament is very clear that Jesus did not stop being a human being when he died.”

• Jesus was raised a human being
  • Jesus reigns as a human being

“To put it in the apostle John’s language, the Word became flesh (John 1:14). His humanity isn’t a costume. The eternal divine Son didn’t simply make a cameo in the created world. He forever joined our humanity to his divinity and for all eternity will be fully God and fully man .”

The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom as you study God’s Word. Do you have any follow-up questions?

Question about Jesus
(Lorna Abwonji) #3

@SeanO thank you so much. Especially for the references this will help a lot

(SeanO) #4

@Lorna_Abwonji You’re welcome. The Lord bless your guys’ study :slight_smile:

(Melody Dickens) #5

Ironically enough this was one of the questions I was given on my seminary orals exam. The verse they helped refer me to was “For there is one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,” I Tim2:5, so my seminary professors would agree that Jesus is still a man.

(Lorna Abwonji) #6

Thank you :blush: truly appreciate that.

(Lorna Abwonji) #7

Interesting, I cant even remember how we started debating about it. Yes that verse 1 Tim2:5 is spot on