Is Judas going to heaven or in hell.?

Judas betrayed Jesus so that the prophetic scriptures would be fulfilled. So is he going to Heaven or in hell?

4 Likes

Hi @Gwe . I think we can safely say that Judas is among those who will not be in God’s kingdom. Jesus called Judas a devil (John 6:70) and Scripture is clear that Satan and the fallen angels are reserved for judgment (2 Peter 2:4). Jesus also called Judas the son of perdition (John 17:12), the same term that Paul applies to the “man of sin” who is generally recognized to be the Antichrist (2 Thessalonians 2:3). Revelation is explicit that Satan and the son of perdition will be in the Second Death (Revelation 20:10, 21:8).

Yes, Judas’ betrayal of Jesus fulfilled Scripture, but this does not exonerate him. I think it is crucial to remember that Jesus chose The Twelve, including Judas, which means Jesus gave him the same authority and had the same expectations of Judas as He had of the others. Unlike the others, however, Judas did not walk worthy of his calling. What made Judas a devil? I think it is this: Satan, created by God and given a place among the angels of heaven, did not keep his place. Similarly, Judas, chosen and called by Jesus, was given a place among the disciples but did not keep it. He betrayed his own calling, which prepared the way for him to betray the One who called.

4 Likes

Dennis, thank you for your response to my question and it really make sense. However it still bothers me in some ways, because even if Judas was not the one who betrayed Jesus someone has to do it in order to fulfill the prophesy. So does it that mean that some are created to perish in order to save others?

3 Likes

Hi @GWE, Judas presents a dilemma and I can understand by your question why this bothers you. I hope these thoughts will help.

Scripture is clear that God did not create certain ones—or anyone—in order to save others. The Gospel declares just the opposite. There was no one in all of creation who could purge sin, therefore God Himself undertook salvation.

“He saw that there was no man—He was amazed that there was no one interceding; so His own arm brought salvation, and His own righteousness supported Him” (Isaiah 59:16).

God saves, not by making this broken creation pay or even by making a new, special creation, but by sending His own, and only, Son. Our salvation does not rest on the destruction of others, it rests solely on God Himself in Jesus Christ dying for us and rising in “the power of an endless life” (Hebrews 7:16).

As for the betrayal of Jesus, I think we err to say that God predestined a particular individual to play this role. God knows the nature of His creation, and the nature of sin, therefore I think we can understand the prophecies about the suffering and death of Christ as God’s statement of what will happen when these two collide—when God in His divine nature directly enters the sinful nature that Satan introduced. Sin at its core takes life and kills truth (John 8:44) and is so hostile to God that it will inevitably rise up in the ultimate rebellion: Deicide.

As we fight fire with fire, in the same way God fought death with death—His own. Jesus expressed it this way, "No one takes my life from Me, but I lay it down on My own. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to take it up again. I have received this command from My Father” (John 10:18).

Submitting to our rejection, Jesus manifested both His amazing grace and the extremity of sin. Judas was the particular betrayer, but to the extent we are not born again, we all are prone to Satan’s desires (John 8:44) and any one of us would do as Judas did. No wonder Jesus said, “You must be born again.”

3 Likes

Honestly no one knows the heart of a man except God. If Judas is in hell it’s not because God sent him there but because he made a choice. All the disciples abandoned Jesus when he was getting arrested. Peter denied him 3 times. Not even all of them came to his crucifixion. Yet they were forgiven and used by God.

I don’t believe Judas was exempt from forgiveness since all the disciples did betrayal in one form or another. It was just Judas who may not have really believed Jesus was the messiah. Remember he tried to give the silver back to stop what was happening.

Matthew 27:3-5
When Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was filled with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders. 4 “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood,” he said. “What is that to us?” they replied. “You bear the responsibility.” 5 So Judas threw the silver into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

He felt remorse but that doesn’t mean he truly believed Jesus was who he said he was. Huge difference.

7 Likes

Hey Gwen!
Though it was prophecied, I think with or without Judas, Jesus would have been crucified! Jesus’ teachings were taken as offensive and blasphemous by Jew leaders. I think that in any age, Jesus would have been opposed by a certain group of people.

I was just discussing Judas with Lynne. So this might be helpful for you.
I hope you reach a comforting answer.

4 Likes

@Gwe
I am reading a book titled Show them no Mercy :Four Views of Canaanite Genocide.
You might ask want does that have to do with Judas? In the book the author made this point about God’s attitude towards sinners.

God’s attitude toward sinners is best seen in how Jesus treated Judas. Even though Jesus knew what was in his heart and what he was about to do, he loved him to the end. His love was expressed through gentle warnings, by making him the guest of honor at the Last Supper, in offering him first of all the cup of forgiveness, and by greeting him in the garden of betrayal as “friend” (Matt. 26:50). Judas died violently, not by God’s hand, but by his own.
(emphasis added)
Cowles, C. S. (2003). The Case for Radical Discontinuity. In S. N. Gundry (Ed.), Show them no mercy (p. 27). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

I have always looked at Judas as the bad guy I don’t think that I have looked at Judas as Jesus looked at him. Thought this would add to a very good thread. Thanks for starting it.

5 Likes

Thank you so much

2 Likes

Could I just throw this out for consideration? Mankind was created with free will. God has the capacity of ‘foreknowledge’, meaning that He knows the end from the beginning. So knowing how Judas would act, Judas was ‘chosen’ for the act that he carried out. We need to be clear that having ‘foreknowledge’ doesn’t mean that God ‘predetermined’ Judas’s actions.

1 Like

Gwen, fantastic question. This has been troubling me.

My understanding is Judas had to have some part in the arrest of Jesus to fulfil Old Testament prophecies.

On this was Judas predestined to betray Jesus, which then leads into predestination.

But could he have asked for forgiveness prior to hanging himself?

2 Likes