Support RZIM Connect

is lucifer a bad name to give a child as the meaning is "light bearer"?

I would like to name my child lucifer as the name means light bearer, but the beliefs of friends and families is different from mine. they all think lucifer is devilish and a bad name. Could that name affect the child or it’s just superstition?

3 Likes

Hi Larry,

I’m curious why you want to name your child with this name? Perhaps some more context could help us?

In general, I think taking into consideration the views of others is relevant when naming someone.

For instance, the name “Hitler” apparently is derived from innocuous meanings:

The surname Hitler is a variation of Hiedler, a surname applied to those who resided near a Hiedl (“subterranean river”) (Bavarian dialect). [1][2] Earlier theories[3] derived the surname from Hüttler (also spelled Huettler), either meaning “one who lives in a hut”, from Hütte (“hut”), or from hüten (“guard, look after”).

But even if I were living near a subterranean river in Bavaria, I don’t think naming a child “Hitler” would communicate that meaning to others? Rather, nearly everyone would have in mind the meaning of the infamous leader of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.

So, yes, technically, “Lucifer” may have two meanings. But the private intention you have for the meaning sounds like it will be very different from the common, public understanding of this name.

I guess my question is, even though you find the name appealing, do you want most people who interact with your child to wonder why the name reminds them of the Devil?

9 Likes

Ditto to everything @CarsonWeitnauer said - plus a couple of other observations:

How does the child’s mother feel about this name?

And what might your childhood have been like if your parents had done this to you?

If you’re wanting a name meaning something similar to “lightbearer” but without all the negative baggage, you can go to https://nameberry.com/list/648/names-that-mean-light
and find plenty of non-provocative names with similar meanings from various languages around the world.

I hope this helps you.

I really hope it helps your child.

8 Likes

Hi, @larryfolly!
In addition to the excellent responses previously given, let me add one more thought on this.
The Bible and it’s Divine Author recognizes the principle of blessing/cursing by association.

Some examples of this principle can be gathered from the following:

1. Lot was spared by Job’s plea
  2. Achan’s secret sin jeopardized Israel’s army
  3. Noah’s family saved from the Flood
  4. Christ’s hem, Peter’s shadow gave healing
  5. Pharisees refusal of Judas’s 30-piece of betrayal money

Perhaps Deut.23:18 could somehow shed light on the above principle,
“Thou shalt not bring the hire of a wh_re, or the price of a dog, into the house of the Lord thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the Lord thy God.”

Psalm 1:1 also shows the same principle.

In light of the above verses and of the said principle, Churches might also do good to refuse accepting money or any offering from strangers and non-members which they may not know for sure where the offering was from.
(Or does prayer for cleansing, as with the meat, applies to this?! Different subject though.)

Hope you would share with us what did you name your son in the end.

2 Likes

Hello Larry, @larryfolly

I also in agreement with both posts above. It’s a wonderful sentiment you have for your child and Luke 6:18 comes to mind, “No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light.

My daughter is this type of person, one who enters a room and lights it up. It’s remarkable really! But there is no question your child would have the lifelong burden of watching people’s reactions and then the obligation to explain one of the lesser known definitions of the name. He will have to battle thousands of years of the name’s #1 meaning… Satan.

After a little research, I can not find the name Lucifer used in the Bible. However, the passage that most frequently is referred to in the context of Satan and light is Isaiah 14:12-14:

12How you have fallen from heaven,
O morning star,c son of the dawn!
You have been cut down to the ground,
O destroyer of nations.
13You said in your heart:
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God.
I will sit on the mount of assembly,
in the far reaches of the north
14I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”

As you can see, Satan was referred to as light but only after he was expelled by God. Also, the light associated with Satan can mean a light of temptation to lure us away from God.

Your intent Larry is a wonderful but I would certainly recommend not burdening your son with this name.

Respectfully,

Paul

7 Likes

Hello @CarsonWeitnauer i appreciate your feedback about my decision to name my child “Lucifer”. but while reading your reply, i cant help but think why the name lucifer will remind people of the devil. in the scripture, the name lucifer was not mentioned in any verse. so i really don’t think its a bad name. i just hope the environment i live in accept my decision for what it is.

1 Like

hello james, i appreciate your feedback. Well, my parents dont know much about the scripture. They also are in belief that Lucifer is only adorn to the devil. but as a researcher i came to know that Lucifer was not only adorn to the devil, Christ was also called the morning star. - Rev. 2:28 ; 2 Peter 1:19.
But why were we made to believe that morning star is actually the DEVIL?

I await your utmost response.

1 Like

Lucifer is the Latin translation of the Hebrew. From the Vulgate:

Curtis, A., & Hoogendyk, I. (2016). The Lexham Latin-English Interlinear Vulgate (Is 14:12). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

@larryfolly, please do not name your child Lucifer. You will be burdening him with something that he will regret later in life. There are plenty of other names you can use. Why would you pick one that has such clearly negative connotations?

2 Likes

hello, i appreciate your feedback. Well, my parents dont know much about the scripture. They also are in belief that Lucifer is only adorn to the devil. but as a researcher i came to know that Lucifer was not only adorn to the devil, Christ was also called the morning star. - Rev. 2:28 ; 2 Peter 1:19.
But why were we made to believe that morning star is actually the DEVIL?

I await your utmost response.
[/quote]

1 Like

Actually, in Job 38:7, all the angels are called morning stars as they sang the praises of the Creator on that first morning when He laid the foundations of the earth.

I do see in Isaiah 14:12, the only place where the name Lucifer actually appears, that he is called “son of the morning.” And that makes sense - he literally was one of the “sons of the morning”, having been created on the first morning of the world.

And I get that the name is Latin for “light bearer”.

But I cannot find where Lucifer is called The Morning Star in particular. Are you saying that he is called this? As far as I can tell, when used as a title, it only refers to Christ.

By the way, has anyone told you this name was a good idea yet?

5 Likes

Isaiah 14:12 has it variously translated as “Day Star” (ESV), “morning star” (LEB), “star of the morning” (NASB95), “Lucifer” (KJV1900), “Shining morning star” (HCSB)–not Morning Star like a title, but the same idea.

The Hebrew phrase translated “morning stars” in Job 38:7 is kokabi bocher. That makes sense, because kokabi really does mean “stars”, and bocher really does mean “morning” - the same word used throughout Genesis 1 when it describes the days as “evening and morning”.

The Hebrew phrase translated “son of the morning” in Isaiah 14:12 is ben shachar. That also makes sense, because ben really does mean “son of”, and shachar really does mean “first light”.

While the two phrases do have the concept of morning in them, being a star and being the son of someone or something are not the same thing - even if a few translations become “poetic” with the phrases. These are not the same titles in either the original Hebrew, nor in the more literal translations of English. And Lucifer and Christ are not the same person.

Which was the point that our friend seemed to be making in Isaiah 14:12 - that Lucifer is referring to Christ rather than the devil (making Lucifer an excellent name for his son). Which I think is a hard sell since the verse says that Lucifer was fallen from heaven, and the passage goes on to say that it’s because he tried to exalt his throne above the stars of God that he’ll be brought down to hell. That describes the devil’s story far better than Christ’s.

4 Likes

This is certainly an interesting little diversion, isn’t it? :thinking: I appreciate your insights!

1 Like

Hello again, @larryfolly,

eplying to your question: “Why were we made to believe that morning star is actually the devil?”

I researched further (and I thank you for your prompting) and found Lucifer is indeed used in the King James Version, Isaiah 14:12: How art thou fallen from heaven, O lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! In other versions “day star” or “morning star” is used in the precise spot “Lucifer” is used in the KJV.

Further, Lucifer is taken from the Latin Vulgate, meaning “the morning star, the planet Venus”, or, as an adjective, “light-bringing”.

The KJV was completed in 1611, over 400 years ago, giving centuries of time for the name Lucifer to be attributed to the devil. Per BrandonGaille.com, 82% of people who regularly read the Bible will read the KJV. And lastly, no doubt Lucifer became even more popular as the devil’s moniker when the power of modern media made the world a much smaller place.

It seems reasonable to believe above to be a logical answer to your question. Any reply and thoughts you may have on this would be valued and appreciated!

Lastly, as Wikipedia is one of the most used websites in the world, you may be interested to read what they have to say about Lucifer, especially in the General Beliefs section, click here.

I gather from you more recent posts that you did decide to name your son Lucifer, is that correct?

Paul

2 Likes