Is Salvation from eternal punishment is eternal or can be lost?

Hello dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

I have a question about Salvation, i have received mixed answers from everyone.

Is Salvation from eternal punishment is eternal or will we lose salvation?

I know this is a common question that you receive from many people.

Please kindly give an answer.

Thank you,
Mahesh N

4 Likes

Hello @Maheshnalluri thank you for raising this imoprtant question. I very much appreciate that you have brought it up and led me to research and reread some of the threads on this topic. I found the threads shared by @SeanO in this conversation to be very helpful.

Here they are: Can I lose the Holy Spirit?

If you have any further questions after reading these let me know and I will do my best to get you more information. All the best :handshake:

4 Likes

Truly a thought provoking question that has been both ways for many. I understand both sides of the coin. I have discussed the issue with many and have been presented valid points from scripture in the scriptures for both points of view. I get stuck on what Revelation says in the words of Jesus

He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Revelation 3:5 NKJV

Am I correct in reading that He will blot it out if we dont overcome. Which I interpret as this

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.
Revelation 12:11 NKJV

To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
Revelation 3:21 NKJV

A little help with these two would be wonderful.
Thanks again for stirring up questions in me.
Mike

1 Like

@Maheshnalluri Great question :slight_smile: Yes, it is a question often heard and below are a few threads to help you think through the Biblical arguments for each side.

However, it is important to remember that we do not need to know the answer to this question in order to live peaceful, fruitful Christian lives. On a practical level, we simply need to remember that:

• we are adopted sons and daughters of God - He is not going to kick us out of His family every time we make a mistake - we are His kids
  • if God’s Spirit lives in us and we are connected to the vine of Christ, we will bear spiritual fruit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control - a person who bears no fruit is not walking with the Lord. Now - we all start out broken and it takes time for us to heal, so I am not saying this to cause doubt. Rather, if our heart attitude towards God and others is not moving towards love over time, then we need to reexamine ourselves.
  • when we sin, we repent - it is that simple - no need to worry about losing salvation, just repent and keep right on running hard after Jesus :slight_smile:
1 Like

Hi, @mgaplus4! I really like the Scripture you brought up in responding to this question. I love the reassurance these verses give and the reminder that it isn’t by our works that we are saved–but by grace through faith in Christ.

I do believe you are correct in understanding that He will blot out of the book of life those who do not overcome. However, I think that begs the question, what does he mean by overcome? Who is an overcomer? In 12:11, it says “…they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony…” Like the Israelites with the Passover, those who believe in Christ as their Savior-accepting his death and resurrection for their atonement and justification-are covered by his blood. We are overcomers in our confession and belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior. As to the part about overcoming by testimony, Romans 10:8-11: “But what does it say? ‘The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart’ (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, ‘Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.’” (New King James Version). I believe this is to what the Revelation verse refers when it speaks of overcoming. It isn’t speaking of overcoming by our own strength or works (not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit…Zechariah 4:6). Think Cain and Abel :wink:

In regard to @Maheshnalluri’s question, I think these verses give us sure security in what Christ has done. It’s only by the blood of Christ and our testimony that we are able to overcome, meaning nothing we ourselves could do-no work of ours-could justify us before God. That faith is credited to us as righteousness. @SeanO gave a great response :).

Let me know your thoughts. I hope this helps at least somewhat.

Thank you Lindsay Yes agree, yes agree we overcome through Jesus and Jesus alone. My testimony is confessing Jesus. That said my life is not my own I have been bought with a price the precious blood of Jesus. I must deny myself and love not my life unto death. In reverse if I choose not to overcome, or deny myself though I confess Jesus then my name will be blotted, removed from the book. For me these scriptures show that truth. Was asking if others in the thread had the same understanding.
Mike