Is that men superior to women as per bible. Why is it that there is no gender equality in bible

(Raju Thomas) #1

Why is that there is no gender equality in bible. Are women not supposed to be equal in all aspects

(Curran Harms) #2

God created man and women with different roles and makeup. It is not good for man to be alone. Even God himself is nor man nor women. We use the word Father as a way to relate to Him and understand Him in relation to us.

According to Christianity, equality is our God-given right
READ
Genesis 1:27
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”… But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God … took one of the man’s ribs … Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Genesis 2:18 – 24

Just because man was created first does not make me superior. Man and women were created as partners and each play a vital role.

They belong together precisely because they originated as one flesh, and in relationship with one another they will symbolically become one flesh again.

Calling Eve a helper in scripture does not mean servant but it means ezer in Hebrew which is used to describe God himself. It is his counterpart.

(SeanO) #3

@Raju May I ask why you believe that the Bible does not support gender equality? Both men and women are created in God’s image and there is disagreement among Bible believing, resurrected Jesus following Christians about whether or not women can teach in the Church / how authority in marriage should work. Both views agree that men and women are created uniquely by God and that there are distinctions in function, but both views do not agree about a distinction in authority.

Even those who believe that men and women’s roles entail a different degree of authority and that men are to represent families, as Adam represented the human race, still believe we are all one in Christ Jesus. We all share in the same salvation - we are equally in Christ - in His love and grace and glory and life.

Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Please see this post by @mike.day for a great explanation of the different viewpoints on this topic.

(Curran Harms) #4

In 1 Timothy 3:1-7 Paul lays out the ground works of the requirements to be an elder in a church.

“If any man aspires to the officer of overseer, it is fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his children under control with all dignity.”

A pastor is part of the elder staff of a church, in fact a lead elder, with that being said the pastor should be the role of a male. I disagree with anyone who goes against this because it is clearly defined in scripture.

If you read Greg Koukl who is a leading apologist or John McCarther he will also confirm with much more evidence on the matter.

Men and women are created equally in the eyes of God, but we have separate rolls in life and in the church.

(SeanO) #5

@Curran_Harms This is one issue where people often have very strong opinions. I respect your view that men are to lead in the Church, but I would like to humbly submit that there are very well educated, godly, Christ centered people who disagree with the position that women cannot lead within the Church. Take, for example, N. T. Wright or Craig Keener, to name only a few.

I would posit to you that this is one issue where we can sincerely disagree and yet still seek the Lord together. Would you agree?

The passage in Timothy does not explicitly say that women cannot serve as leaders. Rather, it is a letter written within a certain cultural context. That Paul was working within that context could be seen as being a Greek to the Greek / Roman to the Roman - similarly to how Paul used the household codes of those days in his letters, but modified them to point them towards Christ. Paul was not affirming Roman household codes - he was trying to teach Romans to be Christian within their context.

For example, Paul told slaves to submit to their masters. Does that mean he thought slavery, even that of Roman times (which was nothing like antebellum slavery), was the ideal? No! But it does mean he was teaching them how to live within their context in a way that honored Christ.

N. T. Wright - Biblical Basis Women’s Service in the Church

(Curran Harms) #6

those are great examples. I feel like according to scripture women can lead in teaching, just not in the corporate leadership type such as a pastoral type. But they can be deacons and run other ministries. That is how I and many others interpret scripture.

(SeanO) #7

@Curran_Harms Yes, on this issue both viewpoints are common within the Church and I think we should honor the local Church context that we choose to engage in.

(Curran Harms) #8

I agree.