Is the Bible's stance on sexuality relevant in today's society?

David, on an Alpha course recently I was between a psychologist (still studying), and what I would term a Bible believing Christ follower. During a discussion on same-sex relationships. The one person standing firm of the Bible saying that that is a sin. The other person saying that some people are ‘born’ with same-sex attraction, so if God created people with same-sex attraction is the Bible relevant today?

I took the middle road and said that we had a same-sex couple in our congregation and we “love” them. And I added that research on this topic is still being done. So I do not know.

How would you have responded David?

Thanks

Bill

1 Like

Thank you so much Bill for another fantastic question!

The way I would have responded is threefold:

1. First, I would have reiterated Gods love for all people, LGBTQI people included in sending his only son - which it appears you did!
  2. I would clarify where exactly same-sex attraction comes from - the Bible teaches us that it emerges from our human fall (the fall of our original parents) as outlined in Romans 1. A system of broken human worship, exchanging God’s image (linked with our male-female embodiment and its consummation in marriage) leads to God giving all of us human beings over to sin and its desires. Only one of those of course is same-sex lust. That said, many people because of this “fall” develop with unchanging same-sex attraction, even if they submit that to God in the power of his grace today through celibacy and mixed orientation marriages.
  3. God has hope for LGBTQI people in the Bible. A greater passage to parallel with is Isaiah 56 where God promises to eunuchs (in the day of Isaiah, these were people who were sexually other, or didn’t fit into the norm or who were without the appropriate genitalia) who were unable to enter the temple or GOd’s presence because of their bodily difference: "And let no eunuch complain,
    “I am only a dry tree.”
    4 For this is what the Lord says:

“To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and hold fast to my covenant—
5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls
a memorial and a name
better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
that will endure forever." What a hope!

Practically, I would bring in the point that love without truth isn’t love at all. Truth makes love real and love makes truth receivable from others. We can’t compromise either. In my book you can find out more about what I think with a same-sex couple. It’s important LGBTQI people hear God’s truth from him directly, not just from believers. It’s such a deep and personal thing - it’s so easy for non-LGBTQI/SSA believers to say they agree with scripture, but it takes so much more for us.

I hope this begins to answer a great question, Bill! Let me know your thoughts.
David.

2 Likes