Is the earth the center of the universe?

geocentrism

(Terrell Allison) #1

Edge (Science magazine)

THE ENERGY OF EMPTY SPACE THAT ISN’T ZERO

A Talk With Lawrence M. Krauss [7.5.06] July 5, 2006

That is, we live in one universe, so we’re a sample of one. With a sample of one, you have what is called a large sample variance. And maybe this just means we’re lucky, that we just happen to live in a universe where the number’s smaller than you’d predict. But when you look at CMB map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the earth around the sun . Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That’s crazy. We’re looking out at the whole universe. There’s no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the earth around the sun — the plane of the earth around the sun — the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe.

The new results are either telling us that all of science is wrong and we’re the center of the universe, or maybe the data is simply incorrect, or maybe it’s telling us there’s something weird about the microwave background results and that maybe, maybe there’s something wrong with our theories on the larger scales. And of course as a theorist I’m certainly hoping it’s the latter, because I want theory to be wrong, not right, because if it’s wrong there’s still work left for the rest of us.

http://gwwdvd.com/dallas-lecture-on-g…

(Terrell Allison) #3

If you click on the Dr. Robert Sungenis lecture on Geocentrism it has a lot of very good information that is easy to follow. The link is pasted below.

http://gwwdvd.com/dallas-lecture-on-g…

(SeanO) #6

@Melvin_Greene @Jimmy_Sellers Based on some quick googling, this is tantamount to fake news.

Laurence Krauss came out and repudiated his supposed involvement in this film. In addition, the people who created “The Principle” apparently, according to this news article, also deny the holocaust, which is nonsense. So I think this documentary is shady and untrustworthy from start to finish.

I have no recollection of being interviewed for such a film, and of course had I known of its premise I would have refused. So, either the producers used clips of me that were in the public domain, or they bought them from other production companies that I may have given some rights to distribute my interviews to, or they may have interviewed me under false pretenses, in which case I probably signed some release. I simply don’t know. -Krauss

https://www.popsci.com/article/science/how-conspiracy-theorist-duped-worlds-biggest-physicists

The claim here is that asymmetries in the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMB) show the earth is at the center of the universe. So, there are asymmetries in the CMB - yes - but the explanation is unclear.

The following article suggests these 6 possible explanations:

http://www.geocentrismdebunked.org/the-cmb-and-geocentrism/

1. An artifact of our focus on anomalies and the a posteriori choice of statistics as described in the previous section

2. Instrument systematics: there is a possibility that something in the design or operation of the satellite radiometers gives rise to data artifacts that cause the apparent alignment.

3. Data analysis systematics: this covers a wide range of possible errors

4. Foreground contamination: in attempting to measure the CMB, there is a possibility of foreground sources of microwaves contaminating the data.

5. Secondary or late-time anisotropies: the CMB light is known to be affected by its 13.8 billion year passage through the Universe by a number of effects, which include scattering from electrons, gravitational lensing and gravitational red-shift.

6. New physics. It is possible that the anomalies arise from real processes in the Universe, which cause some departure from strict homogeneity and isotropy on a large scale.

Here is another article on the CMB suggesting the possibility it points to new physics:

None of this - and I mean none of it - is good evidence that the earth is at the center of the universe.

(Carson Weitnauer) #14

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your helpful and respectful answer to this question.

To my best understanding, it appears that this film was produced under misleading circumstances and also misrepresents current scientific theory.

In RZIM Connect, we are committed to exploring all perspectives with rigor and kindness. At the same time, there is a responsibility to acknowledge when we have erred and to honestly acknowledge the best facts as we have them.

Given these circumstances, I am closing this thread as I believe the original question has been given a sufficient answer.

(Carson Weitnauer) #15