Is the sand an eternal boundary for the sea?

Hi! :smiley: First of all, I’m so grateful to be part of such a wonderful community! I’ve been so encouraged and motivated by the answers that I have found here to some of my questions! That’s why I’m asking you for some thoughts on a verse that I’ve struggled with a lot these days. It’s Jeremiah 5:22, which affirms that God “made the sand a boundary for the sea, an everlasting barrier it cannot cross. The waves may roll, but they cannot prevail; they may roar, but they cannot cross it.”

What I find troubling about this verse is that, apparently, it suggests that the sea will always be bounded by sand, that it won’t cross the shoreline regardless of the intensity of sea storms or other natural factors. I’m aware that, in this verse in particular, and in other OT prophetic books in general, there is a lot of poetic language and there are also stylistic devices that need to be taken into account. But it seems to me that expressions such as “everlasting barrier”, “cannot cross” and “cannot prevail” go a bit beyond the boundary of metaphor, into the concrete, and appear to be postulating a sort of law of nature, that the sea is always meant to be bounded by the sand on the shoreline, regardless of the natural context.

And this is what puzzles me: if this interpretation is valid, and God did indeed establish the sand as an “everlasting barrier” between the sea and the dry land, a boundary which the sea is never to cross, then why do we observe natural phenomena such as tsunamis that do cross the “everlasting barrier”?

Or it might be that God is referring to a natural state that the people of Israel were aware of, that even the relatively intense storms on the sea did not make the sea go beyond the shoreline? As far as I know, the sea was viewed in ancient cultures as being something incomprehensibly large, uncontrollable, wild and dangerous. And God establishing an “everlasting barrier” which even a raging sea “cannot cross” is indeed a display of His power and sovereignty as Creator. But what can be said of the “everlasting” quality of the limit that God put to the sea? If understood in an universal, absolute kind of way, then this claim is falsified by the observation that tsunamis do cross this boundary.

And so I’m left with the possibility that the “law” of nature that this verse is apparently postulating is in some way not “everlasting” (at least not in an absolute sense). And if this is true, then this “law” should be “everlasting” only relative to the context of God’s will for a particular moment or period in history. So, for that specific period in Israel’s history, God’s will for the sea they had access to was that it should not cross the sand boundary, but this is not applicable to all of world’s history. We know from history that God does sometimes allow floods and tsunamis to take place so this second way of looking at Jeremiah 5:22 seems more plausible.

What are your thoughts on this verse and how can it be understood so that it will make sense both with the larger context of the Bible and with what we observe in the world? Is there something about the verse or its context that I’ve overlooked or have I made some errors in interpreting it?

1 Like

In this verse of Jeremiah 5:22, God is expressing his power which mankind cannot comprehend or often underestimate. To paraphrase it, God is saying or rather asking, “What can I not do? I can confine the enormous mass of waters and prevent it from overflowing the earth. I don’t need immense mountains and rocks to do this. I can do it with the tiny grains of sands which are not in cohesion with each other. The most tremendous waves cannot pass over this simple barrier I have made.”

Imageries and poetic languages of the Bible should not interpreted literally. The surface of the earth is ever changing due to erosion by air, water and snow, earthquakes and volcanic activities. A large Island can appear anywhere in the sea. Or a sea or part of it may disappear due to upheaval by seismic activity. With science as my college education, I cannot argue with the fact that the Himalayas were once a big sea. My own native village is partly build on a huge dark lake which a landslide covered it completely.

God is expressing the same thing in Jeremiah 32:26 and 27 and in Isaiah 66:1

Jeremiah 32:26 and 27
Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?"

Isaiah 66:1
This is what the Lord says: “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be?"

In the words of Job:
Job 9:5-19
He moves mountains without their knowing it and overturns them in his anger. He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. He speaks to the sun and it does not shine; he seals off the light of the stars. He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea. He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

2 Likes