Is there a hunger for truth in young people today?

mattmittelberg
apathy

(Helen Tan) #1

Hi Matthew, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I was wondering what your experience has been with the young people of today. Is there a hunger for truth? I have found that those whom I meet in my world are pretty casual about it. Theirs is a world where materialism rules and time is spent in the pursuit of virtual friendships and games. Truth seems to be a word that is alien in their world. How does one even get them started with asking the question of why they should seek the truth?

Ask Matthew Mittelberg (February 5-9, 2018)
(Matthew Mittelberg) #2

Hi Helen, it’s my pleasure! Your question is a hard one because apathy is one of the hardest challenges to overcome in anyone. We can so easily distract, medicate, and entertain ourselves into apathy. But I’ve found that a well-placed question can sometimes wake someone up to their own questions which are lurking right below the surface. An example of this, I was waiting at the bus stop when a woman about my age joined me. We started a conversation, and I asked her what she did for a living. She was an artist, and she said she specifically focused on the theme of identity. So I asked her, “Where do you think we get our identity from? Do we create it ourselves or is it given to us?” And just like that, we were off to the races in a 20 minute conversation about God, faith, and identity. This won’t always work, but I’ve found that a genuine interest in someone’s life and activities can then be related to the big questions of life.

(Kay Kalra) #3