Is there any hope for the US to change its position on marriage?

Is there any hope for the US to change its position on marriage?

Thanks so much, Jesse.

I should say right at the outset that I’m British, not American, and that historically English people attempting to politically lead Americans hasn’t generally worked well… :wink:

I guess you’re referring to the legalisation of same-sex marriage. I’m not sure there is any sign that will change any time soon. There seems to be little appetite from either political party.

That said, I would want to suggest that the position on marriage that most troubles me is not that same-sex marriage has been legalised (though I disagree with that). The more troubling change in our culture’s view of marriage (and which meant same-sex marriage would become inevitable) was when marriage shifted from being covenantal to essentially being an expression of romantic fulfilment. Most people today see marriage as an opportunity to share their romantic fulfilment with the wider community, rather than as being a declaration of intent for the rest of their lives. It has gone from being about “I will” but “I do”; not about what is being promised for the future, but what us felt in the present. As long as this is our principle cultural way of viewing marriage, same-sex marriage will continue to be supported, possibly along with other definitions of marriage to follow.

I hope that helps. Thanks so much for engaging.
Sam

4 Likes