Is there any practical examples on how to jump from Knowing about God (Knowledge) to Knowing God (relationship)?

(Daniel Lira Serhan) #1

Hi everyone,

Is there any practical examples on how to jump from Knowing about God (Knowledge) to Knowing God (relationship)?

(SeanO) #2

@danielliraserhan What caused you to ask the question? When you say relationship, what exactly do you mean / are you expecting?

In the Bible a relationship with God is a covenant with God made after experiencing God and choosing to follow Him wholeheartedly. But if we read the Bible everyone’s story is so different - Abraham and Moses, Daniel and Elijah - they all had different stories walking with the same God. So I think we begin a relationship with God by speaking to Him in the stillness of our hearts and asking Christ to forgive us of our sins, fill us with His Spirit and then guide us as we walk with Him.

The journey after that point a ‘long obedience in the same direction’, as preachers often say. We do not always feel God to be near, but still like Daniel we daily pray in Jesus’ name to be filled and led of God’s Spirit. We ask God to supply our daily needs and to give us strength when we are weak. And we wait. We wait to see how God will act even when He feels far away or does not seem near.

Regarding practical examples, I like to simply read many peoples’ stories of walking with Jesus - everyone’s story is different. Below are some resources that I would hope could be helpful.

Stories

Resources

This Tim Keller sermon deals with handling seasons of spiritual dryness / feeling distant from God.

Good book by Philip Yancey on how to walk in relationship with God.

(Jimmy Sellers) #3

This is from my notes from the 2018 Gifford lectures with NT Wright, lecture 6, titled A New Creation: Resurrection and Epistemology
From his conclusion, he takes a George Hubert’s poem Love and transposes into epistemological mode.
As you read this think the Emmaus road Luke 24:13-35 and I think it will ring true.

Love bade me welcome. Yet my soul drew back
Eager for fact and proof;
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
of larger modes of truth,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
why I stayed wondering.
Knowledge I need I said worthy of the name
Love said it should be yours
I the perverse the objective. I the same who thought
to grasp at powers.
Love touched my eyes and smiling did reply.
Who made the mind but I?
My mind is darkness, hostile, crushed beneath the load,
A stranger and to blame’.
Come to me then, said Love, the Stranger on the road.
Why then my will flame.
You must sit down, says Love and hear my voice.
Knowledge and Love rejoice.

(Andrew Bulin) #4

Hey, @danielliraserhan. Great question!

I used to struggle a lot with this, until I just regularly started spending time in God’s word and in praying, without trying to look for results. It then came to me that to know God is like getting to know another person, remembering that God is also a being of relationship qualities. As a person married for 15 years, I consider how can I get from knowing about my wife, to really knowing my wife? It’s intimate time spent where I’m real and honest, open to response and ready to love. That is what I believe a relationship with God looks like that goes from just knowing about Him, to truly knowing Him.

To know Christ is to know God:

John 14:7 NASB
“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.”

To me, sometimes it’s easier to see the humanity of Christ and to relate to abiding in Him. If I abide in Christ, I will know the Father, and will also know His will:

John 15:7-8 NASB
[7] If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. [8] My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. …

Rather than looking to leap to knowing, how does your current faith-walk with the Lord look?