Is there anything that is irredeemable?

(Warner Joseph Miller) #1

Aside from the unpardonable sin listed in Mark 3:28-30, are there redemptive qualities in every other act, practice, thing or person? Please explain.

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #2

@WarnerMiller
Please clarify what you mean by “redemptive qualities.”

(Lakshmi Mehta) #3

@WarnerMiller, Thank you for posting this question. In answering this question, I want to be faithful to scripture and sensitive to anyone with different views. When I think of the word, “redeemed” in the context of the Christian faith, I think of a change of status from “unholy/unrighteous” to “holy/righteous” by the grace of God. Going back to Genesis 3, what made Adam “unholy” was going against the will/teaching of God which caused him to lose fellowship with the Lord and with him we have all lost the ability to redeem ourselves (Rom 3:23-24). There is no act, practice, thing or person that redeems us. So, God chose to redeem us in Christ, declares us righteous and calls us to be holy and live out that righteousness through the power of the Holy Spirit in the course of our lives by following His teaching (Rom 12:2).

I will first discuss the idea of redemption with respect to an act, practice, thing and then go to person. An act, practice, thing has its moral status only as long it is according to the teaching of God’s will. Since an act, practice, things are inanimate, the morality of these is determined by their association with moral agents – humans, angels, demons, God. Consider Mark 7, where Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for complaining that Jesus’s disciples do not eat with washed hands.

Mar 7:13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.

Mark 7:23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.

From the verses above, a tradition (act, practice) has value according to the heart behind it, which is a heart that conforms to God’s will/teaching.

There are some acts/practices that are of human origin and some that are inspired by elemental spiritual forces (Col 2:8 - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ).

Can a practice be redeemed because its being followed by a person who is redeemed in Christ and is using it for Christ? I think we have the answer in Col 2:8, only if it is according to Christ.

To get a better idea of what I am saying, 1 Cor 10:3-6 may clarify. My bible cross-references me to Exodus 32:5-6 to understand 1 Cor 10. Israelites decided to have a feast for the LORD (YAHWEH) but did it in their own way. We can be in Christ and guilty of doing things for Christ not per His will.

1 Cor 10:3-6 3 and all ate the same spiritual food; 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness. 6 Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.

When it comes to redemption of a person, as people are moral agents, when we choose to follow Christ we are redeemed in Christ and are a holy people (Heb 2:11, 1 Peter 2:9, Is 62:12).

If we move from persons to beings, God has chosen to redeem man but not Satan and his army of fallen angels. (2Peter 2:4).

I hope I understood your question correctly. Glad to discuss this further.

(Warner Joseph Miller) #4

@O_wretched_man thx for the ask for clarification. By “redeemable qualities” I mean qualities that can potentially be amended or possibly appropriated to glorify God. I hope that sheds a bit more light into the question and clears it up a bit.

And thanks, so much, @Lakshmismehta for your insight!