Is there historical evidence that Jesus existed as recorded in the Bible?

Dear brothers and sisters,

Skeptic like Robert McNair Price and others says/said that a historical figure Jesus Christ of the Nazareth of our christian/christians Bible did not exist. Here my question is: did a historical figure Jesus Christ of the Nazareth of our christian/christians Bible existed 100 percent? Was Jesus Christ of the Nazareth of our christian/christians Bible a real person 100 percent? Can you please give me an evidences? How can i properly defend my faith?

I hope you understand my questions.
Thank you.

3 Likes

While I am not an expert by any means I have read evidence of Christs life in non biblical writings.
https://www.namb.net/apologetics-blog/josephus-and-jesus/
Josephus an early historical writer has been found a credible witness to the life of, Jesus of Nazerth. Besides that teachings by Ravi are readily available on you tube. The book a case for Christ is wonderful also.Let me pose one more thought. As a child 55+ years ago I lied to keep from suffering the consequences. Eventually those lies came out. I found that all lies eventually die but TRUTH is fought tooth and nail to disprove it. The Gospel has been steadily affronted for thousands of years yet is still just as powerful as it ever was let alone since the times that JESUS walked the earth. I trust that the love of God will become an undeniable truth to all who read this post.
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Mike

1 Like

Something i find interesting with respect to your question, John, is what some famous people have seen in Jesus that truly moved them. Here is one example of what i mean.

Napoleon Bonaparte, the military-conqueror/Emperor, was not recorded as being a Christian, and criticized religion in general, yet he wrote this (among other things referenced below):

=======

"Well then, I will tell you. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I myself have founded great empires; but upon what did these creations of our genius depend? Upon force. Jesus alone founded His empire upon love, and to this very day millions will die for Him. . . . I think I understand something of human nature; and I tell you, all these were men, and I am a man; none else is like Him: Jesus Christ was more than a man. . . .

"I have inspired multitudes with such an enthusiastic devotion that they would have died for me . . . but to do this is was necessary that I should be visibly present with the electric influence of my looks, my words, of my voice. When I saw men and spoke to them, I lightened up the flame of self-devotion in their hearts. . . .

"Christ alone has succeeded in so raising the mind of man toward the unseen, that it becomes insensible to the barriers of time and space. Across a chasm of eighteen hundred years, Jesus Christ makes a demand which is beyond all others difficult to satisfy; He asks for that which a philosopher may often seek in vain at the hands of his friends, or a father of his children, or a bride of her spouse, or a man of his brother. He asks for the human heart; He will have it entirely to Himself. He demands it unconditionally; and forthwith His demand is granted.

"Wonderful! In defiance of time and space, the soul of man, with all its powers and faculties, becomes an annexation to the empire of Christ. All who sincerely believe in Him, experience that remarkable, supernatural love toward Him. This phenomenon is unaccountable; it is altogether beyond the scope of man’s creative powers. Time, the great destroyer, is powerless to extinguish this sacred flame; time can neither exhaust its strength nor put a limit to its range.

“This is it, which strikes me most; I have often thought of it. This it is which proves to me quite convincingly the Divinity of Jesus Christ.”

=======

Other quotes on the subject of Jesus by Napoleon can be found in various places like:

This is not a conclusive proof of the existence of Jesus, but there are many such testimonials to the effects of the Life He led and the truths He demonstrated. Including billions of life-stories of Christians, of course. And changed hearts resulting in new, increasingly righteous lives, over 20 centuries, could be considered part of the historical evidence that He was/is real.

Hello @JohnLemphung yes Jesus existed. Now it’s up to the individual to look at all the evidence of Christianity and come to a decision to if he was divine or not. But its nearly unanimous among atheist, jew, and christian biblical scholars alike that Jesus was a real person. I will give you some resources to read and some people to look up in history outside the bible.

Lucian of Samosata was a second-century Greek writer who admits that Jesus was worshiped by Christians, introduced new teachings, and was crucified for them. He said that Jesus’ teachings included the brotherhood of believers, the importance of conversion, and the importance of denying other gods.

The Babylonian Talmud (Sanhedrin 43a) confirms Jesus’ crucifixion on the eve of Passover and the accusations against Christ of practicing sorcery and encouraging Jewish apostasy. While this isn’t for Jesus being God this does prove that he existed and did miracles since they are accusing him of sorcery.

The first-century Roman Tacitus, who is considered one of the more accurate historians of the ancient world, mentioned superstitious “Christians” (from Christus, which is Latin for Christ), who suffered under Pontius Pilate during the reign of Tiberius. Suetonius, chief secretary to Emperor Hadrian, wrote that there was a man named Chrestus (or Christ) who lived during the first century (Annals 15.44).

Also to support history you can see that there is plenty of archaeology of the bible that has been done. In Luke 3:1-3 Luke refers to Lysanias being the tetrarch of Abilene in about AD 27, an Inscription was later found from the time of Tiberius from AD 14 to 37 which names Lysanias as tetrarch in Abila near Damascus.

Here are more resources:

1 Like