Is There Meaning To Life?

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

This is a new video from Reasonable Faith on the topic, “Is There Meaning To Life?”

I think it is an interesting dialogue. I’d love to have an animated whiteboard next to me while I’m talking, as well as an agreeable conversational partner!

Two questions:

1. Have you ever asked these questions to a friend? How did it go?
  2. Which points do you think are most persuasive? Least persuasive?

As always, I’m eager to hear your thoughts!

(David Cieszynski) #2

For me I would concentrate on moral law, and do we know what is good or evil.

(Jimmy Sellers) #3

I like the argument on right and wrong. If evolution determines “right and wrong” then all that we have left is consensus opinion.
I particularly like the human flourishing comparison. How can the atheists be sure that it will be humans that flourish and not cabbages? In South Carolina there is a good example of a non-human competitor to human flourishing, Kudzu. :grinning:

(david payne) #4

@CarsonWeitnauer, I concur with your observation about how nice it would be to have such an agreeable conversation partner. The picture I often get – a wrong one, I’m sure – is that of hte hostile atheist, one who would not allow you to get a word in edgewise. That being said, one thing I find worth studying in this video is the winsome, disarming way the woman goes about her responses. (“So, you’re saying atheists can’t be good people?”, “No, I’m not saying that…” about 1:256 in). This occurs severa times throughout the video. The art of effective conversation. That’s worth as much as the content and is something I like a lot about the video.

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

David, I agree with you. She is really winsome and a very positive example!

(Chris Geisler) #6

I love that people are working hard to make videos like this! Soooo helpful in sharing the Truth!
I have had similar discussions. Although it is often difficult to articulate a Christian worldview defense. This is a practiced skill, one that takes deliberate effort to hone. To make it even more difficult, I am an introvert, and lack some of the deeper friendships that can allow for such conversations. These two obstacles motivated me to action. It’s one of the main reasons I am pursuing apologetics study and have completed the Core Module class through RZIM Academy. This has helped me to develop some basic answers to defend Christianity. I’ve also found that I have to make extra effort to make social connections and actively look for opportunity to steer conversations to the Gospel. I’m still working at it, it’s not easy.
As assignment in the Core Module, I interviewed two atheists who hold Naturalist worldviews. The conversations were pleasant, and I was able to softly challenge some of their beliefs, pointing them to Christian worldview concepts. I don’t think a lot of people (Atheists) fully think out their beliefs, so pointing out inconsistencies and asking thoughtful non-confrontational clarifying questions sparks reflection. I think it did a lot for one the Atheists I spoke with.
For me, one big persuasive point is the first, “No Intention = No Purpose”. That rings so true to me. One of the things I love about apologetics are the diverse approaches that can be used to speak to the Questioner. Everyone learns differently, is impacted differently, and is swayed by different evidence. I think all the points are helpful and can be stronger or weaker depending on the discussion and the Questioner’s background.
The point I personally find most convincing is that Naturalism can’t begin to offer an explanation for consciousness and intellect. Without either, we wouldn’t even be entertaining the topic of Meaning or our Existence!

(R.Tim Nolin) #7

A lot of wisdom packed into such a short video. I think this would be great to share with the youth group sometime soon!