Is This Gospel Wrong?

(Tabitha Gallman) #1

This young man seems very loving and enlightened when talking about Jesus, but when you get to around the 7 min. mark on the video he says, “Jesus’ teachings are about how you and God are one. Your relationship with God is already solidified, already in full working order. So now, do you need to pay a priest if you have committed some sin in order to be cleansed of those sins? Jesus says “NO” - all these rules are fake and false. All you need to do is go within.”

When he mentions sin, he becomes a little hesitant and describes sin as an act or behavior that society has agreed upon as considered sinful.

They way he describes sin tells me that he has no moral framework to relate to. That is very scary because I can see where someone who is unread in the OT could run with this whole concept of sin as being a “disfunction that is an inward expression of lack of spirituality…(etc.)”

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Interesting find. I enjoyed watching the video. I wonder how this person would relate to Andy Stanley’s book Irresistible that some of us are reading…

There seems to be some new-aging, “aligning one’s self” going on here (see 8:17). Jesus did not come because people needed to do a better job internalizing and performing introspection on their own. His ultimate reason to come was to be a sacrifice for all:

Isaiah 53:4-5 NASB
[4] Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. [5] But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.

Hebrews 9:11-14 NASB
[11] But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation; [12] and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. [13] For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, [14] how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

It is through Jesus that we have value and success in life, not merely in a nebulous idea of “looking within”:

John 15:4 NASB
[4] Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.

In giving him the benefit of the doubt, I’d could say that I appreciate his effort to de-institutionalize the Christian body. I think it would do him and his audience some good to leverage more scripture to round out his conversation and ground it on the stable foundation (Mat. 7:24).

What do you think are some other positive reinforcements from the Bible that could have been leveraged in his vlog and to help his argument?

(Tabitha Gallman) #3

@andrew.bulin , My first thought about this video was indeed concerning some of the correlation between this guy’s message and some of the remarks made in the Irresistible book, but being somewhat knowledgeable about the OT it’s obvious that there is very little subtance to what he’s trying to convey. The message sounds very positive, yet so far away from the gospel that I grew up with. I’m sure this guy’s interpretation of Romans 12:1-2 would be different than mine.

(SeanO) #4

@tabby68 First off, he seems like a nice guy. However, he is very confused. He is teaching eastern spirituality but using Biblical terms to describe it. For example, his main point is that you need to align your life with the spark of divinity within you. That is not Biblical teaching - that is eastern mysticism. But he redefines the the ‘spark of divinity’ as the Holy Spirit. His understanding of the Trinity is completely wrong.

Second, he completely misses the Gospel. He actually says (quote below) that ‘you need to get your life in order for yourself’. Whoa, wait, where is by faith alone through grace alone? Where is the cross? Where is the new heart? Where is new creation? He is actual teaching a works based faith.

Next, he rejects the reality of an afterlife. He says some vague things about eternity existing now and then dismisses the reality of eternal life.

Now, at one point he did clarify that by rules he did not mean morality. So he does seem to be teaching some form of moral behavior. But the Gospel is completely missing from his line of thinking.

when you become more aligned with that source within you, which in the Bible is termed the Holy Spirit

God the Creator, God the creation and God the Spirit - 3 sides 1 dice

You are a spark of divinity - you are divine - you are already loved - all you need to do is get your life in order for yourself - not for some kind of afterlife - spiritual discipline - you must discipline yourself on the straight and narrow path

This is eastern mysticism. Not Biblical teaching. It’s just been repackaged.

(Tabitha Gallman) #5

Thanks @SeanO. I agree with you. It seemed a lot like new age kind of teaching. This leads me to another question. Do you consider the Bible to be described as a systematic theology or as an open-ended narrative theology? Or both?

Would I be correct in saying that Modern Christians believe that the Bible is a systematic theology and post modern Christians describe the Bible as an open-ended narrative theology?

(SeanO) #6

What exactly do you mean by ‘open-ended narrative’? If you mean that we have to discover what the narrative means for our individual lives rather than conforming to a single true meaning of the text, then yes that sounds like a postmodern approach.

(Tabitha Gallman) #7

Yes, that’s what I mean. Thank you. :slight_smile: