Jan Klein

member_introductions

(Jan Klein) #1

Hi everyone,

My name is Jan. I’m a pastor, living in the Netherlands. At the moment I’m working on my PhD research. An exegeticalstudy on Luke 19:11-28.
I really like the RZIM and looking forward to see someone from RZIM coming for a lecture to the Netherlands.

(SeanO) #2

@Chrysostomos Welcome! Please join in our conversations. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

What is the thesis of your PhD?

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

Hi Jan, welcome!

I hope there will be a great outreach in the Netherlands as well. Thank you for raising the opportunity. The Connect prayer team can start praying that this might happen!

For now, I hope you’ll benefit from the accessibility of our global team through the #ask-rzim Category. This week Dr. Thejus from India is taking our questions: Ask Dr. Daniel Thejus (Bobby) (February 12-16, 2018)

I look forward to getting to know you and learning from you!

(Dave Kenny) #4

Welcome Jan. Fascinating text for a PhD… how long will it take you?

Dave

(Jan Klein) #5

Thank you Sean.
My research question is: “How should we understand the words from Luke 19, in which a slave his master answers with the words that he is a hard man who reaps where he has not sown and in which this master does not get angry or indignant but confirms these words, read within the context of the resemblance as described in Luke 19?”

(Jan Klein) #6

Thanks Dave,

:no_mouth: Too long :grinning:

(SeanO) #7

@Chrysostomos Sounds profound :slight_smile:

(Theja Tseikha) #8

Would like to have an insight to the answer one day:slight_smile:

(Carson Weitnauer) #9

Theja, good point!

@Chrysostomos, any preliminary thoughts for us on the best approach to interpreting this passage?

(Jan Klein) #10

For now I can only say that in don’t belief that all the parables must be declared moralistic, as the German scholar Julicher suggested in the 19e century.

(Sarah Abigail Kuriakos) #11

@Chrysostomos, I read the passage in Luke that you’re doing your research on, and I had a sudden thought. It occurred to me that the slave who said those words was accusing his master, the nobleman, of doing nothing more than what any decent nobleman is supposed to do. A nobleman delegates jobs to his underlings ~ his slaves, if you will, and the slaves carry those jobs out.

In other words, the nobleman will tell his slaves to sow, wheat, for example, and the slaves will go out and sow wheat. He’ll tell them to sow barley, and they’ll sow barley, and so on. And come harvest time, they will reap wheat and barley, and bring him the harvest. So it’s exactly as that lazy slave said: he reaps where he has not sown, but it’s not because he’s a hard man, it’s because he’s a good businessman, and because he’s doing what every good nobleman does.

So all that slave was doing was trying to give himself an excuse, albeit a very bad one, for being really lazy.

I don’t know if this means anything to you, or helps your research at all. I just thought I’d contribute what came to me as I read the passage earlier. I hadn’t ever seen it that way before now. I love it when God shows me new things from His Word!!