Jehovah Witnesses : How to approach?

daily_evangelism

(Yosua Hardistianto) #1

Recently me and my friends visited our local JW curch (for research purpose). We find them believe that their translation (new world translation) is the one and only truth. So if we want to start a discussion or convo and start using ESV or KJV etc, they just believe that our version of translation is corrupted and misslead. How we can convince them that their translation is the one that wrong?

(SeanO) #2

@yosua.hardistianto Hank Hanegraaff has a good article where he recommends three possible approaches:

1 - Agree to use a different translation
2 - Stick to verses about Christ’s deity that are translated correctly in the NWT (John 20:28 and Isaiah 9:6 are unambiguous, or clear, even in the New World Translation)
3 - If you know some Greek, you can actually show that the NWT is wrong using the Jehovah Witnesses’ own Kingdom Interlinear Translation

Also, here is a resource originally shared by @CarsonWeitnauer and authored by Dr. Licona

behold-i-stand-at-the-door-and-knock.pdf (314.6 KB)

The New World Translation differs from other translations in some rather startling ways. For example, in over 200 times in our New Testament — what they call the Christian Greek Scriptures — the New World Translation has substituted the word “Jehovah” in place of the word “Lord” which, of course, appears in the Greek text. In several passages in which Jesus is called “God” the text has been mistranslated, notably John 1:1, which is made to say that “the Word was a god.” In Colossians 1:16-17, which says that “all things” were created through Christ, the New World Translation adds the word “other,” making it say that “all other things” were created through Christ. These are just a few examples of their mistranslations.Thus, most biblical scholars who have written on the subject have now concluded that the New World Translation is doctrinally biased and is the work of amateur translators.

https://www.equip.org/perspectives/what-about-the-new-world-translation/

Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

(Yosua Hardistianto) #3

Ahh learn some greak. Being an evangelist is not always easy :blush: thanks sean. Great article

(SeanO) #4

@yosua.hardistianto Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: No, not always easy, but definitely rewarding!