Jeremiah 31:31-34

Peace and blessings to you all this evening. I pray God’s love is felt by you all this evening. A while back I asked the question about this passage of scripture off of another thread. My question comes after talking with a friend who has gone back to the Law, she is acting a lot like people in the Hebrew Roots movement, but she calls herself a Scripturalist.

““The day is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and brought them out of the land of Egypt. They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,” says the Lord. “But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel after those days,” says the Lord. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord. “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.””
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭31:31-34‬ ‭NLT‬‬
My original question was is this scripture passage a play on words? So when everyone is mentioned is it literally everyone in the world? Or is it a reference to everyone as a whole in society?
I tend to believe it is talking about now since God is the God of order. In the Hebrew Scriptures after the first covenant is mad there is a telling of a second covenant with a reason for why this second covenant is being promised for future generations. Even our bibles are separated by old and new covenant. Thank you. Peace to you all.

Some people believe that Israel will come back to see Yeshua as Messiah and that this must take place before the Messiah’s return.

Dr. Michael Brown is a believer in this doctrine and he is a Messianic Jew who has a scholarly background in the history of Israel and a evangelist for the Jews to become Christians. He also holds debates with people practicing Judaism about all things surrounding Yeshua as Messiah and the NT.

Hi, Monica - excellent question.

The first part of this passage is quoted and explained in the New Testament in Hebrews 8:6-13 and Hebrews 10:16-17.

You’re right - it is talking about the New Covenant, or the New Testament under which we are living now. God’s laws are written in our hearts by the Holy Spirit Who indwells everyone who is born of the Spirit.

But the part you seem most concerned about is verse 34 where God says that all will know Him - from the least to the greatest - for the knowledge of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters cover the seas - in fact, there will be no need to try and introduce others to the Lord because His ways will be common knowledge throughout the world.

That part is also found elsewhere in the Bible - in Isaiah 11:9 and 54:13, and in Habakkuk 2:14. These passages are talking about a time when the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the calf and the lion will lie down together. This is looking forward to a time when Christ reigns over all the earth for a thousand years of peace and prosperity. And literally everyone in that kingdom will know the Lord then.

Now, you may be thinking, “Wouldn’t it have been wonderful to have been born in that beautiful coming kingdom!” Well, good news - the moment you were born again, you were born a citizen of that kingdom! We will be resurrected to reign with Christ when He returns to establish his righteous rule, and we’ll get to participate in it from start to finish - and even on into the new heavens and new earth beyond!

Hope it helps!

Peace and blessings to you all. I am humbled and encouraged by your responses and affirmation of my thoughts. I count myself blessed to have so many people in this community in which the Holy Spirit has imparted knowledge in different ways to through different life experiences. This is how I read the question. However, this question was piggybacked off of another question concerning the Hebrew Roots Movement. I do love how God is putting the puzzle of this story together, a piece at a time. May you all have the peace of God in your lives.