Jeremiah 33:3 - Call on God and He will Show You Jesus

(SeanO) #1

My Grandpa used to call Jeremiah 33:3 God’s phone number. Call upon the Lord and He will show you great and wonderful things.

Jeremiah 33:3 - This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name: ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’

But what does this passage mean in context? And what is it that God will show us if we call upon His name?

Jeremiah 33 is a reminder from God to Israel that even though He has allowed them to be taken into exile, He has not forgotten His covenants with Abraham, Israel and David. God will bless Israel and keep His covenant as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow.

Jeremiah 33:19-22 - The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: “This is what the Lord says: ‘If you can break my covenant with the day and my covenant with the night, so that day and night no longer come at their appointed time, then my covenant with David my servant—and my covenant with the Levites who are priests ministering before me—can be broken and David will no longer have a descendant to reign on his throne. I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars in the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore.’”

And how is God going to accomplish His promises? Through a righteous ‘Branch’.

Jeremiah 33:15-16 - “‘The days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah.

“‘In those days and at that time
I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line;
he will do what is just and right in the land.
In those days Judah will be saved
and Jerusalem will live in safety.
This is the name by which it will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior.’

But how has God fulfilled His promises? Through Jesus! Jesus is the righteous branch - and we are the Israel of God. Jesus is both King and Priest and we are also priests in His Kingdom - a chosen nation and a royal priesthood.

1 John 2:1 - My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father–Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Romans 9:6 - It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

Galatians 6:16 - Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule–to the Israel of God.

1 Peter 2:4,9-10 - As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ…But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

The ‘great and wonderful things’ Jeremiah was referring to are the faithfulness of God to keep His covenants. Jesus is the ultimate fulfillment of that expectation - He is the righteous Branch. And we are His people.

(Timothy Loraditch) #2

Are you saying that Jeremiah 33:3 is exclusive to God’s promise fulfilled through Jesus and that, in the context of this verse, there are no other “great and wonderful things” God has to say to me?

(SeanO) #3

@tfloraditch Not quite - in this particular passage I think the ‘great and wonderful thing’ is God’s faithfulness to His covenant through the righteous Branch - which points to Jesus. But I am saying that we should not take this verse out of context to support just any supernatural revelations. The ‘great and wonderful thing’ this verse is referring to is the faithfulness of God to His people in spite of their dire circumstances, which was fulfilled ultimately in Jesus.

I do not view this as a restriction / limitation of this passage - Jesus is the fullest revelation of God and the one in whom we become sons and daughters of God. This is no small thing! Christ is the mystery hidden from the foundations of the world - the One to whom the prophets pointed and longed for and who we have been able to see in these - the last days / age of the world. What a blessing!

So while I do think we should take it in context, I think it is a glorious passage about God’s faithfulness - as surely as He will keep His covenant with the morning, He will redeem His people from their sins.

(Matt Western) #4

I remember a story told by Ravi to illustrate looking at God vs looking at Jesus. I have tried to google for a reference but I cannot find it so I will do my best to re-tell the illustration from memory, as it may have been told in a video message.

A man was telling his friend about how wonderful these new moving pictures were and how he went to these new movie theatres. The man having been there many times before, and his friend having never seen a moving picture before.

The friend was intrigued, and went in while it was still dark, and then after a short time all he could see were these beams of light coming out of a hole in the wall. It didn’t make sense to him, and he left disappointed and confused. He met his friend and shared his confusing experience.

The man took his friend back the next day, and make sure he was facing the right way, to the screen. Suddenly his friend could see things clearly.

Ravi concludes the illustration, by saying if you want to know what God is like, don’t look at the beams of light coming out of the hole in the wall, turn around and look at the picture on the screen: Jesus is God revealed to us.

If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus, who is God in the flesh, and consider His beauty, majesty and love shown as He gave His life for us, that we might be brought back into a relationship with God.

(SeanO) #5

@matthew.western Great example! I had forgotten that particular illustration and it is a good one.

(Tabitha Gallman) #6

@SeanO - I can’t wait to get to the book of Jeremiah. I love that … “God’s phone number.” :grin: Do you think Deuteronomy 29:29 speaks along the same thought?

“The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.”

(SeanO) #7

@tabby68 I think Deut 29:29, at least per my understanding, is more about recognizing that God has not given us all of the answers. Rather, He has given us what we need to know in order to love and know Him. Our purpose is not to know everything, but to trust and know the living God, for which His revelation is sufficient.

Yes, I also think God’s phone number is a very fun way of remembering Jeremiah 33:3 :slight_smile: