Jesus Among Secular Gods: Chapter 1, Pt. 2

Do we take into account how our implicit beliefs impact our thoughts and actions? Ivy and Shawn look at the importance of remembering stories of God’s faithfulness and the weight of experience in each person’s life when exploring a worldview. Can the naturalistic worldview answer the questions produced by our struggles and life experiences? Find out in this episode of Cover to Cover.

5 Likes

I curious what “one thing” other people found in this episode. Mine relates to focusing on the faithfulness of God. I’m realizing that my friends might be rejecting Christianity because they think it isn’t good. They don’t care as much about the evidence for its truth.

I appreciated Shawn’s point that we should talk regularly about times when God has been faithful to us. Now I’m wondering, “What times would I mention? Would I only mention times when good things happened to me?”

I wasn’t sure this thread was the best place to discuss the goodness of God in relation to apologetics. It’s nice having a thread where we all share our “one thing.” So I posted my question separately at Is the Bible good? Is God faithful? I’d love input on this question.

2 Likes

Hi @Jennifer_Wilkinson and thank you for opening up this discussion. Thank you also to Ivy and Shaun for their very interesting discussion.

One thing that stood out to me was on the questions Satan asked Adam and Eve in the garden and how it in a way led to the first call to atheism. RZIM’s catch phrase is often quoted, “Helping the thinker believe, and the believer think,” but it shows how questions not properly processed can also lead to a greater divergence away from truth. The serpents question, if it was thought about and talked about by Adam and Eve at the time, and then rejected, could have actually led them to a greater knowledge of the truth and greater intimacy with God. It makes me wonder if the question Satan asked was actually just feeding a false thought or desire that Eve had already been contemplating. We often become conditioned to hear only what we want to hear. The podcast has helped me to think more on ways to ask helpful questions within our secular/ post truth culture, but also on why continued dialogue with grace and love is needed while we and others are trying to understand the foundations of our worldview.

Blessings :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes