Jesus Among Secular Gods Study

Hey guys.

I just picked up the ‘Jesus Among Secular Gods’ study curriculum and was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing the study along with me on Connect. I would really like it if we could have meaningful discussions on the reflection questions and toss ideas back and forth.

Since it is a six-session study, we could have our discussions on a weekly basis over the course of six weeks. If you do not have the curriculum, I would encourage you to pick it up (links provided below).

If anyone is interested, please do let me know so we can start soon.

I look forward to your response.

https://www.christianbook.com/jesus-among-secular-gods-leader-kit/9781462793297/pd/793298?event=ESRCG

8 Likes

Hi, @Ryan_D_souza - would we need to get the kit itself, or would just the book suffice? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@KMac The kit would be better as it has 2 DVDs, the study book and trade book. However, if you can get the DVDs and the study book separately then you can go for that.

The study book is video-based, so it’s necessary to get the DVDs.

3 Likes

I have the book on my shelf and haven’t read it yet. I’ve read the earlier one ‘Jesus among other gods’… by Ravi.

(I probably wouldn’t buy the study guides as I have about 8 books I’ve bought and not yet read :slight_smile: perhaps you could post a few questions from the study guide ?)

5 Likes

I’ve read part of the book and have access to it. Agree with Matt! If you could post some of the study guide questions, I would enjoy participating with the group!

2 Likes

Another way of thinking about this study, I suppose, is that it could be a good way to prepare yourself to lead a JASG group in your church or neighborhood.

1 Like

Yes @CarsonWeitnauer, I second that.

Also, just to clarify, the study guide is video-based. So if you guys could get the videos that would be invaluable to our discussions.

Good to know! @CarsonWeitnauer, is there any way one could access the videos apart from the DVD?

1 Like

Good question!

The videos can also be ‘rented’ for six months or ‘bought’ and downloaded at Lifeway’s website.

Here’s the link to rent them: https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/jesus-among-secular-gods-rent-M00000763

3 Likes

Thanks @CarsonWeitnauer

2 Likes

Ryan, I am interested in joining this study, but my budget is pretty tight right now. I was excited to hear of the option to rent the videos as this is considerably less expensive. Just wondering when it would start. Thanks for being willing to lead this study😊.

2 Likes

I see Carson’s link has the video’s and the study books. Is the Jesus Among Secular God’s bible study book the correct book to purchase?

3 Likes

@tpauls8 i was thinking to wait about a week to see if anyone else is interested. so let’s say a week from Sunday. Will update the post.

2 Likes

@kelelek hi. yes that is the one.

3 Likes

Great! Thanks Ryan!

2 Likes

Hey Ryan,

Is there a timeline on when you wanted to start this study?

2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been reading this book and would enjoy the opportunity to discuss it. Has this study group started yet?

Bob

2 Likes

Hi Bob,
no there hasn’t been much movement on this or heard much from Ryan who suggested this. I’m still interested in joining when it starts…

SeanO is currently leading ‘Determined to Believe’ by John Lennox. There’s no reason two book studies can’t happen at the same time, in fact the format of what Sean does is quite good; posting a subject per Chapter at about 1 per week with some thoughts and some questions to think about.

you haven’t missed out… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Cheers
Matt

1 Like

My small group just finished this study and it is great but in order to get the full benefit members in the group must be willing to engage with people they are around and ask kind but pointed questions about what people believe and why they believe it. I loved the study and hope we do it here soon.

3 Likes