Jesus and Violence in Gethsemane

In Luke 22, while Jesus is being arrested, Peter cuts the ear off if the High Priest’s servant, Malchus. This is a pretty well known story, and in the other gospel accounts Jesus tells Peter to “Put your sword into the sheath” (John 18:11). However, in Luke’s gospel, after Peter does this Jesus says “Permit even this.” in the NKJV and “Suffer ye thus far” in the KJV. Obviously Jesus does not condone violence on His behalf, but what does He mean by “Permit even this”? Is He saying “This is as far as this is going, I’m ending this right here” or does He mean something else? Several verses earlier Jesus tells His disciples “and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one” (Luke 22:36). Then His disciples say in verse 38 “‘Lord, look, here are two swords.’ And He said to them, ‘ It is enough’”. On this last part Chuck Smith says that Jesus told the disciples these things because it’s gonna get a lot harder when He’s gone, and that by saying “It is enough” when they present two swords to Him that Jesus is saying “You don’t really understand, but you will”. This whole scene seems strange to me and I would very much appreciate any and all clarity any of you can offer me.
Blessings of God upon you all!!

1 Like

For your first question,

Here are two resources I often turn to when I have such questions.

== Noah Webster’s 1828 Dictionary is often the missing link between my understanding and the wording of the KJV. This is likely the English definition closest to intent of the KJV translators.

https://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/suffer

SUF’FER , v.t.[L. suffero; sub, under, and fero, to bear; as we say, to undergo.]

1. To feel or bear what is painful, disagreeable or distressing, either to the body or mind; to undergo. We suffer pain of body; we suffer grief of mind. The criminal suffers punishment; the sinner suffers the pangs of conscience in this life, and is condemned to suffer the wrath of an offended God. We often suffer wrong; we suffer abuse; we suffer injustice.

2. To endure; to support; to sustain; not to sink under.

Our spirit and strength entire,

Strongly to suffer and support our pains.

1. To allow; to permit; not to forbid or hinder. Will you suffer yourself to be insulted?

I suffer them to enter and possess.

Sometimes, substituting definitions for the word used in the text can be helpful, perhaps along with some rephrasing. Then, this might read:
I know my arrest was not your plan, but do not forbid of hinder it, for it is His plan, not ours. I know this is painful, disagreeable or distressing, but I encourage you to endure it and not to sink under the weight of your disappointment.

== Strong’s concordance and definitions have also been very helpful to me. Here is the BlueLetterBible.com page with the Strong’s definition of the Greek word used, and a list of all the verses this Greek word was used. I have often found that reading through the list of verses (along with their context) gives me a better sense of what that word my actually mean in Greek.

Hope that helps a bit.

It’s a good question and it rang a bell for me.
Firstly, I checked some Hungarian translations (my first language) of Luke 22:51 “Suffer ye thus far” and they are all quite the same, I’d translate it to English as “it’s enough” (HUNK version was not translated from KJV but at least partially used the original Greek & Hebrew writings back in 1586-59).
Secondly, your question reminded me of a teaching I heard not long ago, where this very particular action of Peter was explained. As I can recall Peter would have ended in jail for what he did (hurting a priest’s servant) so he couldn’t have fulfilled his role (God’s will). That’s why Jesus healed the servant - to keep Peter out of jail, so he had the possibility to deny Jesus 3 times and later being reconciled as a disciple (“But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:7‬ ‭KJV‬‬)
I hope it helps a bit! Blessings!