Jesus as a prepositional vs relational answer

Can someone explain the difference between these terms? Several RZIM speakers, including Ravi himself, refer to Jesus as either a “prepositional” or “relational” answer to our needs. I suspect I understand “relational”, but what does “prepositional” mean?

3 Likes

This is a great question! I tend to think about a proposition as something that is ‘proposed’, like an idea or statement, that can be true or false. In the case of propositional truth, this is a claim that is true. One of the beautiful things we see in the Gospels, is that Jesus not only declares truths, He also tells us He is truth (‘I am the way, the truth, and the life’ Jn. 14.6). The good news isn’t just news or statements, but its also a person we enter into relationship with, who gives us His Spirit to guide us to the truth (Jn. 16.13). I love how Ravi and his team have highlighted this incredibly rich aspect of what we have in Christ. I hope this is helpful!

8 Likes

I concur with what Meaghan said. Additionally, prior to His execution on the cross, Jesus went before Pilate and said to him, “Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” Pilate responded to Him, “What is truth?” and didn’t even stick around to hear the answer from the ONE person on the planet who could actually answer that question.

Here we see a very important distinction between Christianity and every other religion and worldview. Many people and guru’s have claimed to “have” special knowledge or to “possess” the truth that everyone else seemed to have missed. But Jesus made a very different claim. He didn’t claim to possess the truth. He claimed to be the living embodiment of truth.

Only in Christianity is truth not simply a concept, but a person.

This means this truth is not simply propositional knowledge (or informational knowledge) for us, but personal knowledge. When we say we know the truth, follow the truth or live in truth, we are referring to a personal knowledge of the God of all creation that lives in us and that we live our lives from.

5 Likes