Jesus as human and God

Hi all.

Would like to ask why is it necessary for God to become human? And why is is necessary for man (Jesus) to become God?

1 Like

Hi…
Because Adam sinned death entered humanity, therefore, at that point of Adam and Eve’s sin they deserved to die immediately. God was merciful to allow them to live and consequently killed a lamb instead to cover their nakedness. The blood of the lamb covered their sins in the presence of God. Because every human is born in sin they deserve death immediately, instead God allowed animals to die in their place. That is extreme mercy! But the animals were also affected by the fall of man and so their blood was not perfect. So Jesus became human, living under human conditions, to be the perfect human to die on behalf of every human being. If Jesus did not do that we would not have been able to be in God’s kingdom because of our sins. The blood of Jesus is perfect therefore under Jesus blood we are made perfect in the presence of God without sin.
Jesus is extremely crucial for life after death! Without Jesus everyone goes to hell! No one can enter into the presence of God.

1 Like

Further to your question…

Jesus did not become God but Jesus is God. Remember Jesus is called The Word that became flesh in the gospel of John. In the gospel of Mark the pharisees sentenced Jesus to death because He called himself Son of Man. In the old testament Son of Man is also called the Mighty God and the Everlasting Father in Isaiah 9:6. In Colossians 2:8-9 shows that in Jesus dwells the full Godhead bodily. And we only bow down to God , yet Philippians 2:10-11 says that we must bow to Jesus.

I hope this helps you! This topic is very close to my heart. It was also a question I asked and a concept I didn’t understand until the Holy Spirit showed it to me. God bless!

4 Likes

Hi Jeff!

I think is a very deep question. The nature of Jesus has been a debate topic for a lot of years and even for us as Christians is very difficult to understand completely the nature of trinity. William Lane Craig has a class called “Defenders”. In this class he goes deep into the trinity: God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Maybe this link can help: https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/scholarly-writings/christian-doctrines/a-formulation-and-defense-of-the-doctrine-of-the-trinity/

Now, I would like to give my opinion. I think the question of why God become human is answered in 1 Corinthians 15:21-22 " For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive." God is good, but he is also fair. If humans sinned it is humans who must receive punishment. Therefore, only a human could save us, but not any human. It had to be a perfect human, a human that never sinned. That is impossible because all humans have sinned. But, if God made himself human, that could be enough to save human kind.

Now regarding why it was necessary for Jesus to become God. I think it never was. Jesus was 100% men and 100% God. When he ascended he just got back beside the father.

Hope my answer can help!

God Bless!

5 Likes

Hello @Jeff_Gonzales You have asked some very important questions. I hope you will find the following links to be helpful in their scriptural support.

As @Sashti has correctly pointed out -

He has always existed as God and is equal in nature and essence to God the Father and God the Spirit. The following link also gives scriptural support for this foundational truth of the Christian faith.

If this causes any questions or confusion, please feel free to reach out as this is a dialogue and I am interested to know your thoughts and welcome your contributions to this discussion.

Thank you again, Jeff. I appreciate your post.

Mary Beth

2 Likes

Thank you very much @MaryBeth1 for these links.

1 Like

Hebrews 2:5-18 but paraphrasing;
‘Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death… and free us from slavery… therefore he had become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God… because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.’
The whole chapter may help you towards an answer on Jesus as a man.

1 Like