Jewish Evangelism

Hi all,

Does anyone know if RZIM offers any resources to help with outreach to our Jewish friends and neighbors?

Thank you in advance,
Mary Beth

5 Likes

Hi Mary!
I don’t know about RZIM, but I know this website https://www.oneforisrael.org/ It’s really great and insightful since it is run by Jews who became christians.
Have you had any previous discussions with some of your Jewish friends? What did you find most puzzling?

3 Likes

Hi Sara,

Yes! I agree with your assessment about ‘One For Israel’. I am always encouraged when I listen to the testimonies of what God used, said or did to bring them into a relationship with Him and the wide diversity of backgrounds and circumstances involved.

I live in an area with a very high Jewish population. One of my favorite things is to see the ‘black hatters’ (orthodox) walking to synagogue on Shabbat and the amazing respect they have for the Torah.

When we first moved into this area about 10 years ago it was a surprise to me to discover how many of my questions were met with one word: tradition. I have come to believe upon further questioning it’s a matter of not really understanding their own beliefs in many cases.

I have had the privilege of celebrating holidays, attending different synagogues and temples, bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs and recently a stunningly beautiful Torah dedication. Trying to navigate a relationship of respect that keeps the doors open for discussions of faith without coming across as proselytizing (door slam) has been tricky. I have erred on the side of asking lots of questions about the Torah or their beliefs about a particular thing and sometimes I’ve felt led to share my beliefs.

What about you? Have you had any opportunities to share or challenges in trying to share your faith? If so, can you tell me what has been beneficial or effective? What do you find intriguing? Any advice?

Thank you!
Mary Beth

2 Likes

Hey @MaryBeth1! I live in Egypt, so we don’t have any Jews over here :smile: But I would have been eager to talk to them about what those traditions really meant, about whether they would discuss Isaiah 53 or is it really ‘forbidden’. I don’t know but I see myself poking the elephant in the room at once! The Messiah! That would lead to many discussions later on: what’s God’s plan for humanity, how God is preparing for salvation throughout Torah, the prophecies…

I think that is absolutely the most important thing. Only in a context of relationships we can create a space for others to drop their guards and share what they truely think and are receptive to what you’ve got to say. I think the way you are developing a genuine interest in what they believe in and how they think, is really Biblical. I always imagine Paul that before Acts 17 in Athens that he must have read or studied the philosophies and cultures of those nations that he might be able to evangelize to them later on. I pray that God uses you among them dear Mary!

2 Likes

https://jewsforjesus.org/ is another solid organisation.
and
https://thelineoffire.org/

2 Likes

I second that request. I have wondered if churches leave that up to the Messianic movements.
I joined a well-known Messianic group in order to join in this type of evangelism but found that they - and most other such groups - have embraced the teachings of Judaizers.
They say that because they want Jewish believers to not be unnecessarily offended, they have their services on the Sabbath, and use a synagogue liturgy. That sounds okay on the surface, but if you stay around long enough you find out that actually they believe that it is more pleasing to God to embrace the Mosaic laws - Sabbath observance, following a kosher diet, circumcision; “Torah observance”.

2 Likes

I agree. ‘Jews for Jesus’ is a well known outreach and evangelistic organization. I am not familiar with the other one. I will look them up. Thank you for the recommendation.

Mary Beth

1 Like

I have a friend who is messianic and I asked her recently if she had any interest in attending a messianic congregation. She mentioned some of the things you did and said her personal preference was attending a Christian church.

Being in a highly populated Jewish area, I sometimes wonder what Jesus’ household was like on Shabbat and the high holy days.

Mary Beth

1 Like

Hello,
One organization with very solid doctrine and apologetics and understanding is First Fruits of Zion. They are a wonderful, authentic group of writers, teachers and musicians that understand a historic, biblical and also modern perspective of Judaism and Christianity. I have followed and read almost all of their teachings for over a decade and highly recommend them. FFOZ.org
Brian

Hi Roslyn,
I don’t know why my reply to your post went to another thread that I was in and not this thread. I will see if I can remedy.
I find many Christians have incomplete perspectives of Peter’s vision of the sheet and unclean animals and dietary laws.

1 Like

Blockquote(I have no idea why this reply posted in this thread!)
@roslynfarmer781, I must point out a common misunderstanding of the vision Peter had with the unclean animals. Peter explicitly gives the interpretation which has nothing to do with eating unclean animals.
Please read the whole scripture story again of Peter called to dine with Gentiles with the understanding that Jews would never eat with Gentiles and have rare exchanges with pagans.
Cornelius was a Roman centurion, label: Pagan.
Cornelius was upright, God-fearer, a man highly regarded by the whole Jewish nation. Still unclean by Jewish standards.

The Spirit told Peter:
““And while Peter was pondering the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Behold, three men are looking for you. Rise and go down and accompany them without hesitation, for I have sent them.””
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:19-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Sheet comes down 3 times. 3 men.
‭‭
He repeats the interpretation in Acts 11:1-18. This is the opening of the door of the Jewish believers of the Messiah that God has enabled the Gentiles to everlasting life.
“When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.””
‭‭Acts‬ ‭11:18‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/act.11.18.esv

This vision of unclean animals has nothing to do with dietary laws.
It has everything to do with you and I becoming acceptable not to God, but to the Jewish fathers of faith who recognized the Messiah and lived in Him.

1 Like

I was thinking too that the Jews did not think they were disloyal to Abraham because they didn’t offer up their sons on Mount Moriah nor take walks from Ur of the Chaldeans to Canaan. Nor did Abraham think he was disloyal to Noah because he didn’t keep a boat handy.