Jews and the gospel

Hi everyone, a question I have is this, why is it that most Christians fail to share the gospel with our Jewish friends and neighbors? Is it because of fear not knowing how to share the gospel? Could it be that perhaps they may well be versed in their faith to defend any onslaught that challenges them spiritually? Or could it be a dislike for Jews in general? I am just presenting this for discussion, I still see a hesitancy towards sharing the gospel with them. My understanding of Paul’s admonition in Romans 1:16 is still valid.

1 Like

Hey, @a1781 - I think the simplest answer to your question is that most Christians actually fail to share the gospel with very many (or even any) others at all. But of those who do share the gospel, I’ve never known any that would have withheld it from the Jews in particular.

But maybe it’s different where you live. Have you seen Christians that shared the gospel freely with most others, but specifically not with Jews?

Hi James, thank you for responding. From my experience, those who share the gospel regularly share it with everyone both Jews and gentiles. However, there are some who maintain that Jews do not need the gospel now because Jews will trust Christ as their messiah at the end of the age. Everyone needs Jesus now not tomorrow. I think we need to encourage believers to share the gospel with Jews, just like we share the gospel with Muslims. Paul always made it a point to include his people in hearing the gospel. The church as a whole is not complete if Jews are left out.

1 Like

Well, I am very sorry to hear that there are people who think that Jews now don’t need to hear about Christ because they all will later anyhow. Lot of good that does for lost Jews in the meantime - and certainly not Paul’s attitude in Romans 9:1-5.

But never having encountered this attitude among Christians in my own experience, I don’t suppose I can offer you much in the way of why they’d think this.

Yes, Jim, it’s very sad we can at least encourage people to share the gospel with everyone. And if by chance we don’t know how we need to find someone who can help us along or take workshops in evangelism. Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Hi Abraham,

Thank you for starting this conversation as some similar thoughts were circulating this morning. Living in an area with a large Jewish population has caused me to ask a lot of questions about my own fears of sharing the gospel with the people of God. As attempts made have been met with stares, silence, and an invisible wall at times, I have not been as faithful in sharing the gospel as I should. God help me.

I feel sometimes like I am navigating a tightrope between maintaining an open relationship with my neighbors by trying to live it in direct servanthood to them (as they all know I am a believer) and speaking the truth in love. I have compensated (ugh) by asking questions about their faith and trying to engage in a dialogue about mine. There seems to be no interest. I pray daily for these precious people as only God can open their eyes (and enable me to walk in obedience to Him).

I welcome your suggestions. I would especially welcome hearing from my Jewish brothers and sisters in Yeshua with any advice and wisdom you can give. Thank you in advance.

Shalom Aleichem,
mb

1 Like

Hi Mary Beth Shalom, it’s so good to hear that you have been thinking about this. Sharing the good news with our Jewish friends and neighbors could be awkward sometimes. You are doing the right thing, by praying for them and asking questions about their faith and practices. Here are a few practical things that will open the door for sharing, and develop a deep bond of friendship.

One thing that you can do is ask if you can visit their local synagogue for a Sabbath service. This way you can be exposed to their mode of worship. It varies, depending on which branch of Judaism they practice, Reform, Conservative or Orthodox.

Second, many synagogues have classes in Torah, Talmud, Kabbalah, philosophers, etc. It wouldn’t hurt to take a class by a Rabbi on any lectures they are offering, or the books of the Tenach or OT. Usually, you have to purchase a book and they give great lectures. This way you can engage in class with other people and doors of opportunity will open to discuss deeper things.

And lastly, participate in things that are important to the Jewish community in your neighborhood. It could be the BDS movement, the rise of anti-Semitism. Jewish people are activists in their soul, intellectual in their spirit, and are yearning for truth. It requires that you acclimate yourself to their cultural ethos for lack of a better term. It is the principle of “becoming all things” 1Corinithians 9:20-22. When a Jewish person sees a Christian having an interest in their faith or what is dear to them you will open a door for them to ask you questions. The Holy Spirit will do the rest and you will be amazed. More Jews accept Christ by the testimony of gentiles than Jewish believers. Mary Beth may our God bless you in all things and give you wisdom, courage, and love
Psalm 32:8, Psalm 20:1-4,
Shalom Aleichem
Abraham

1 Like

I would add that it doesn’t make any sense not to preach the Gospel to Jews, because even those who believe all Jews will be saved (Romans 11), it’s obvious that isn’t happening right now, and till then we must preach to them, else they will perish. Dr Michael Brown is an incredible resource on this topic, check out the line of fire on YouTube, and his 5 volumes on answering jewish objections to Jesus.

Hi Samuel, you are correct on that point. Jews are coming to their messiah, but not in large numbers. They are realizing the uniqueness of Jesus in history. It’s the old guard of an older generation that is the most resistant to the gospel. The younger generation of millennials and post-millennials are more open. They are searching for meaning, purpose, and truth. Dr. Brown is fantastic, I have a couple of his books and I need to check out his 5 volume series. Thank you, Samuel, for your comments and insight.

Abe

Hi Abraham,

It would be interesting to take a class on the Torah or Tanakh from the Jewish perspective. Have had the privilege of attending several bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs and even a Torah dedication ceremony last spring. The scrivener that explained everything was a 4th generation scribe from Israel. So much beauty and symbolism in everything that obviously pointed directly to Yeshua.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice, Abraham. I appreciate it.

mb

Hi Mary Beth, glad to hear that you have been to those special events. I was raised in a predominantly Jewish community back East, my father went to synagogue every sabbath. When I moved to the Midwest and got married it was also a predominantly Jewish community. Taking classes as a believer among non-believers was a great experience for me. I would engage with the Rabbi things he brought up in the lecture. It allowed me to study harder Jewish oral tradition vs the Tenach. There is a clear connection to Jewish holidays like Yeshua in the Passover, Yeshua being the light of the world with Chanukkah, Yom Kippur to Yeshua atonement as the lamb of God, etc. Thank you MaryBeth for your interest and your love for the Lord.

May our Lord bless you in all things,

Gen 12:1,2

Abraham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSM8K0yC_Lw