Jezebel spirit

(Andilina) #1

Has anyone heard of a Jezebel spirit? I’ve only recently learned of this and found an article on it.

I’m curious if there is any validity to the claims in this article regarding such a spirit, if anyone has had encounters with such evil spirits, and what interactions that we as Christians should have with people suffering from such evil spirits.

Rather than just looking randomly on the internet for answers on this topic, I thought it best to ask this forum rooted in Jesus and biblical faith. While I don’t want to go chasing spirits of any kind other than the Holy Spirit, I think it would be good and helpful to better understand our enemy and his allies.

I look forward to your insight and suggested study material. Thanks!

~Andilina

(SeanO) #2

@Aleone1207 Thank you for that question. While I certainly believe that evil spirits are real, I do not believe that the idea of a ‘Jezebel spirit’ is Biblical or that there is any benefit whatsoever in trying to understand the ranks of the demonic. Jesus is King and if we humble ourselves before Him we are victorious even over the evil one - how much more so other evil spirits.

James 4:7-8 - So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.

Our focus should be on maintaining a pure heart before God and walking in the Holy Spirit. If we do that, the rest will take care of itself. You may find the following thread / resources helpful. Chip Ingram has a set of 4 videos - I’ve linked the first below - about how to be victorious in spiritual warfare.

May Jesus grant you wisdom and understanding as you grow in grace and knowledge of Him :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-War-Believer-Spiritual-Warfare/dp/0801018560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545484309&sr=8-1&keywords=spiritual+warfare+chip+ingram

Understanding How Temptation Works

While I do not see benefit in understanding the ranks of evil spirits, I do see benefit in understanding how the evil one goes about deceiving the world. In the following thread, I discuss how Adam / Eve were tempted and how Jesus resisted temptation in the wilderness through faith and the Scriptures. Understanding the dynamics of temptation and the schemes / lies of the evil one can help us guard our own hearts and share the truth with those who have been ensnared by the lies of the evil one.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 - And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

When addressing the Pharisees Jesus noted that the devil is a liar and murderer from the beginning and so I think understanding the dynamics of those lies helps us understand how those lies permeate culture and peoples’ hearts, which hopefully in turn gives us greater wisdom in knowing how to undo them and, in alliance with God’s Spirit, see people set free by the truth of Christ.

John 8:44 - You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

2 Cor 10:3-5 - For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

(Brian Gray) #3

This is good. Iron sharpens iron. Having used this term I now realize I didn’t provide sufficient context for people to understand the idea I was attempting to convey. That being said, I have no idea whether or not there is an actual spirit named Jezebel. Others might disagree but I don’t think it matters much since evil only has the power we humans provide it via our consent. I think a better term might be a “Jezebel dynamic” Among other things, Jezebel opened the door to a spirit of anti-Christ to Israel in the form of Baal and Asherah worship. Baal worship included child sacrifice and Asherah worship incorporated sexual sin with temple prostitutes. Today child sacrifice is labeled women’s health and sexual sin is a human right. We also have witchcraft (pharmakeia) in the form of increasingly legalized substance abuse.
As I think about my own use of the term “Jezebel spirit” I realize that I have been employing a somewhat poetic biblical illustration to describe a specific form of the original sin of rebellion operating in the world today. I have done so without necessarily being clear. It is important to understand that the specific form the wiles of the devil (Eph 6:11) assume may change but their content which is rebellion against God does not. In my opinion, our media-driven society has created a collective craving for drama within the body of Christ. This is often transferred to the subject of spiritual warfare. The Bible certainly talks about evil principalities and we are to pray without ceasing. Yet most forms of evil are born as a result of believing in a lie. Truth is the primary antidote and the only spirit we need concern ourselves with is the spirit of Truth that is Jesus. Rom 12:1-2 helps me keep things in perspective by remembering that transformation and renewal is my goal, my mind is the battlefield and my ability to understand then prove the good, and acceptable and perfect will of God is how I defeat evil. Things only begin to change when I change how I think. The same goes for the world. Thank you so much for bringing my own lack of clarity to my attention so that I may change how I think about the use of this term.

(SeanO) #4

@Brian_Gray Thank you for sharing your own change in thinking - that is super helpful. I really appreciate how you honestly reflected on your own use of the term ‘Jezebel spirit’ in light of Scripture and came to a deeper understanding of how we engage in spiritual warfare. I agree that the Church sometimes over sensationalizes spiritual warfare and really appreciate Lewis’ view that we must avoid 2 common errors:

“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.” C. S. Lewis

(Brian Gray) #5

Thanks, I’ll file that quote for future use. :wink:

(Andilina) #6

Thanks, gentlemen, for your insights and honesty! The C.S. Lewis quote is very helpful as I could sense what he calls an “unhealthy interest” stirring within me. I knew this would be the best place to regain a biblical and healthy perspective, so thank you! Also, I love Chip Ingram! I used to listen to him a lot. I will definitely have to check out his study on spiritual warfare. I have much to learn and this would be a good place to start.

(SeanO) #7

@Aleone1207 Sure thing - as you study feel free to keep the discussion going. I’m sure we could learn along with you. I also enjoy Chip Ingram - we used some of his studies for a men’s group I’m in. May the Lord Jesus grant you wisdom and insight as you study :slight_smile: