Joanna

Hi Connect!

I am from Bethlehem, PA, USA. I recently started watching videos of Ravi on YouTube and am now hooked on Apologetics. This looks like an amazing resource to find input on just about every question on my heart. I had been separated from the church for more than a decade but rejoined the Christian community three years ago, rededicating my life to be a follower of Christ.

While I have the overwhelming sense of having returned “home” again, living for so long as an agnostic has given me much conflict in how to witness to a world that thinks being a Christian means you are, at best, an idiot for believing fairy tales or, at worst, a bigot. I am seeking how to speak of my faith boldly and share it with others.

I struggle most with the fact that my husband is not a believer. As I was separated from the church at the time of our wedding, it did not seem like a big deal at the time. I am raising our children in the church and he is not interfering with my lead on this. However, it is hurtful that he is not part of the most important facet of my life. If anyone else here on Connect has gone through this and has any inspiration to share, I would be grateful for the support!

9 Likes

Welcome to Connect, Joanna. It is so encouraging to hear of your heart to follow the Lord, no matter the challenges in your way. I will be praying for you and your family today.

5 Likes

Welcome to Connect @jkdm134 I pray you learn along with us all how to bring those close to us to our Lord.

4 Likes

Hello Joanna!
God bless you! Being yoked to an unbeliever is not an easy walk. I will pray for you. Let the Lord lead you in His word and His ways. Focus on the strength of your own faith and trust your husband to God. Whatever you do will be a great blessing for your children. Let it be seen in love, not conflict or anxiety. And as I suspect you do, pray for your husband!

4 Likes

Hey Joanna! @jkdm134

So great to see another Pennsylvanian join the community :blush:

Rejoicing with you on finding your way back into His arms… However, I also feel your burden for your husband and how to interact with other non Believers.

Especially, since you’ve been on the other side of things-

I see your story as a great testimony and opportunity to bring light to others- you can explain what happened to bring you back into relationship. I have no doubt that the Lord will use your own unique story to edify someone else struggling with belief. And please don’t worry about having all the right words- just pray for the Holy Spirit to move in you. I will pray for you, as well!

As for your husband… I can imagine how difficult that could be- on so many levels! Thankful he is okay with you bringing the kids to church.

In the meantime, enjoy this space to grow with other Believers- there are many topics and discussions that may already be going on about your specific questions. Otherwise, feel free to start a new topic- others, I’m sure, would benefit from the conversation. (Click the top right corner 3 lines- categories drop down menu)

Be blessed, Joanna! Adding you to my prayer list today :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome Joanna! It is so great to have you here. Thank you for sharing your heart. I too am a believer with an unbelieving husband. He has been a great support and encourager of my faith but does not want to partake in it himself. When I first became a Christ follower I would get so upset when he questioned my thought process. This in part led me to reading and watching Ravi Zacharias’s books and videos. Those helped me build an intelligent foundation on my belief system. Now when he asks me something it becomes a conversation and I continue to pray that the Holy Spirit will soften his heart and open his eyes and ears to see what is changing in me. One of the scriptures that I clung to in the early years was this; “To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:12-14‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/1co.7.12-14.niv. It is a great reminder that I am to love my husband and the Holy Spirit will take care of the rest. I never want him to feel like a project but that I love him as Christ has called me to. Keep instigating conversations about the bible with him. I pray that it will all work out as it should in God’s timing. God bless you.

3 Likes

That verse is a balm to a sore heart, as I know that my heart will save his in the end, but I wish he was along with me in this journey. It’s hard to not be able to share the deepest questions of your life with the person you should be able to trust the most on Earth!

Thanks for your kind words, Lynnette. You will be in my prayers. Thanks for welcoming me to this community!

We are here to comfort, uphold and encourage each other. I would encourage you to wrestle some of your tough questions with him if he is willing to talk it through with you. I have learned that my husband sometimes gives me a perspective that I don’t see and working through the topic helps me find clarity and a deeper love for God and I think it shows my husband that this is not just a blind faith or a cult but a relationship with a real person and a longing to fulfill the purpose Christ has given me. I believe this is how I can be the best witness to my husband without him being a person I am trying to convert. You never know when the Holy Spirit will show up and surprise you. God bless you as you continue on this journey.

1 Like