Joaquin Phoenix plays Jesus in a new film. Here's one thing he refused to do

(Patrick Thompson) #1

Hi,
This is my first time posting on the site.
I found this article and I wanted to share it.
It’s some background on a movie called “Mary Magdalene.”
Honestly, I only skimmed through the article, but I believe the article can be summed up by this quote:
“In “Mary Magdalene,” Phoenix decided to go with his gut, licking a mudless thumb and gently rubbing the woman’s eyes.
“It freed me up, in some ways, to discover what is truthful in the moment,” he said. “That moment is not so much about a real miracle. It’s about someone who has been dismissed by society finally being seen, embraced and encouraged to join the broader community. To me, that is a miracle. There’s something profoundly beautiful about that sentiment.” “

This article is jumbled mess of genuine intentions and individual, relativistic opinions about the most important person in history.

How would you affirm using resources outside of the Bible as important to verifying the authenticity of the Bible while turning the conversation back the hope Christians place in the person of Jesus Christ?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

First welcome to Connect, it is a great forum filled with like minded believers with one goal, to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Now to your comments.
I have often marveled at the fact that Jesus’s detractors then and now never criticized the results of his miracles or healings, example: the guy still walks with a limp; he doesn’t have 20/20 vision; or old Lazarus isn’t quite the same. They did criticize him for who and how and when he did his works. In the article it would appear the Mr. Phoenix says nothing new,
This might be a helpful way to turn the conversation back to Jesus and his Kingdom work.

(Patrick Thompson) #3

That’s a great point @Jimmy_Sellers. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m praying through being intentional about engaging in loving, truthful conversations as this movie comes out.

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Glad it was helpful and I will be praying that God gives you opportunity to share His love with people who have questions as a result of viewing the movie.

(Jonathan Houle) #5

I am sure that this is because when Jesus healed any person, He healed them completely and restored them to an ideal state. Jesus’ detractors would have had no ammunition to make such a claim.

(Jonathan Houle) #6

A heartfelt and warm welcome to you, Patrick.
It is funny, my friend and I were just discussing this very article this very morning! Honestly, I am more concerned about the fact that the recipient of Jesus’ miracle, in this movie, was changed from a man to a woman. Why would they do such a thing? What difference could it make to them which gender they were? Jesus healed plenty of women.
I think it is of critical importance to, when we are attempting to recreate or convey scenarios from the Scriptures, that we do not stray from the established writings. It is easy for the new and naive Christian to be deceived by such “passion plays”. The Word is not intended for political propaganda. I am very hesitant to use this word in any context with actual people or relationships, but this kind of thing is blasphemy, and I think we should handle it as such.

(Jimmy Sellers) #7

Thank you for that thought. I thought the fact that Phoenix felt he could improve on to the method that Jesus used made my point. I would be more incline to question the healing itself as ridicules.

As an aside (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) there are about 48 recorded stories of healings in the Gospels where Jesus directly performed the miracle healing.

Think about it this way.

Jesus touched the dead; the physically infirmed; the leper; the demonic; he hung out with the wrong kind of people. Jesus was breaking boundaries set by Torah (the written law ) and enhanced by the oral traditions of 2nd temple Judaism, a tradition that had burled the lines between Yahweh and Israel; it was on this (the oral tradition) that Jesus challenged his detractor.

I think that the man born blind said it best:

30 The man answered and said to them, “For the remarkable thing is this, that you do not know where he is from, and he opened my eyes! (Jn 9:30 LEB)

If you close your eyes you almost hear him chuckle.:grinning: