Job 1:6-7

daily_evangelism

(Sujan) #1

Hello,

The verse mentioned below is from Job 1:6

" And there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Lord and satan came also with them."

There are few questions which came up within myself and remained unanswered while reading this chapter.
Who are the sons of God?. Why did they come to present themselves before God?
And how could Satan, who had been cast away from Lord’s presence, come to His presence again?
The next verse also states that “… Satan answered the Lord, and said, from going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.”

These two verses are a bit confusing to me and need help in understanding them.

Thanks

(Albert Schmidt) #2

Hello Valli,

yes, that one made me curious as well. By the way, if a critic comes up with this, you know he took his time to read the bible and give it some thought. This stuff is deep.
From what I have learned, there is no explanation that is 100% sufficient and there is some room for interpretation. I want to show you 3 videos that explain it from different angles but I don’t want to make a doctrine of any of them.

Here are the issues that are sometimes behind this question:
How can Satan even come into the presence of god? The bible is incoherent!
How is all this fair? God is not just

One thought on that: this is not an historical account. That means, it may well be that this actually never happened. It is probably a story that tries to teach the reader a certain lesson. I always say that to get the fear out of the issue.
Here are the videos:

These are the 3 explanations I favor atm and I didn’t arrive at a conclusion, yet. But then, it’s not that important for me anymore. I know what the story tries to tell me: bad stuff happens, don’t lose your faith over it and go through it WITH god.
Actually helped me with the past 3,5 years of running my own business.

May god guide you as you dive into this very important lesson.

(SeanO) #3

@valli.sujankumar Thank you for that question. The term ‘satan’ in Hebrew simply means ‘the accuser’ or ‘the adversary’ - it is not a formal title. It is describing the role that ‘the accuser’ is playing Job - accusing Job before God. In Job the term ‘sons of God’ appears to clearly refer to angelic beings, though in Genesis 6 it may have another referent - the same term can have different meetings in different contexts.

Regarding when ‘the satan’ was cast out of Heaven, that would have been during Jesus’ earthly ministry or after His victory over the powers of evil upon the cross. So at this point in the Bible ‘the accuser’ still had access to the heavenly council.

The Lord grant you wisdom as you study. Are those thoughts helpful? Do you have further questions.

v. 6 - The “sons of God” refer to the angelic host (cf. Job 38:7). They constitute the heavenly council, God’s courtiers surrounding the throne ready to obey His every command. See also 1 Kings 22:19 and Daniel 7:9-14. With them was " the Satan ". Everywhere this word appears in Job it has the definite article (“the”; cf. 1:6,7(2),8,9,12(2); 2:1,2(2),3,4,6,7). Hence, it is a title, descriptive of his function and character. The word “Satan” literally means one who opposes at law, an adversary (seeZech. 3:1-2).

https://www.samstorms.com/all-articles/post/job-chapter-1

The “sons of God” in the OT is generally taken to refer to angels. They are not actually “sons” of Elohim ; the idiom is a poetic way of describing their nature and relationship to God. The phrase indicates their supernatural nature, and their submission to God as the sovereign Lord. It may be classified as a genitive that expresses how individuals belong to a certain class or type, i.e., the supernatural (GKC 418 §128. v ). In the pagan literature, especially of Ugarit, “the sons of God” refers to the lesser gods or deities of the pantheon. See H. W. Robinson, “The Council of Yahweh,” JTS 45 (1943): 151-57; G. Cooke, “The Sons of (the) God(s),” ZAW 76 (1964): 22-47; M. Tsevat, “God and the Gods in the Assembly,” HUCA 40-41 (1969/70): 123-37.

The NET Bible

Sons of God in Genesis 6

The term ‘sons of God’ also appears in Genesis 6 and has three possible interpretation:

1 - descendants of the line of Seth
2 - angelic beings
3 - tyrants

http://www.equip.org/article/who-were-the-sons-of-god-in-genesis-6/

(C Rhodes) #4

@valli.sujankumar.

It has been well expounded, but if I may; I would like to add my personal use of the scripture in Job and Genesis.

“Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.” Job 1:6.

"That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." Genesis 6:2,4.

I have always believed that these two references in the scriptures identify angels. And though it may be assumed they assembled in Heaven, the scriptures do not bear out that assumption. I also believe that Genesis 6 lends credence to the Greek Mythologies. But more important for me was the realization that Satan will assemble himself in the company of any of the sons of GOD. Be they redeemed or angelic.

I am neither shocked or dismayed when I stumble across sin within the Church of Christ.

Satan is the prince of the air, and the time has not come for his imprisonment. Ephesians 2:2 and Revelations 20. It follows that people who choose to believe that sin in the church indicates GOD is not real or Jesus is not credible. Do not understand. Sin sickness is an admission requirement. The church is for the sick. The redeemed are the medical staffers in the soul’s hospital. Satan is like any staph-infection hiding about, ready to make the sick, fatal.