John: 1:1

(Tsilise) #1

As am starting to read Bible with all seriousness and tries to somehow connect the dots i find this verse confusing.
“In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God”.
My question is; if the Word was with God how is that the Word was God? Please help me understand the connection between this two.

(SeanO) #2

@Tsilise My friend, you are asking the right questions! The Word is Jesus Christ and the Bible consistently teaches that the Son, the Father and the Holy Spirit are all equally God - that is called the Trinity. God is one in Being, but three in Person. There is only one God and yet the Word (Jesus) can be with the Father because they are separate in Person.

John 1:14 - The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

While the Trinity is not an explicit doctrine in the Bible, it is implicit throughout. Many passages of Scripture state that each member of the Trinity is God and yet that they are distinct, which is the core of the doctrine of the Trinity.

I like the way the below article from the CRI explains it. There are 3 planks that are core to a Biblical doctrine of the Trinity:

• there is only one God
  • each member of the Trinity is fully and completely God
  • each member of the Trinity is distinct

The article provides Scripture to support each plank.

The second plank emphasizes that in hundreds of Scripture passages the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are declared to be fully and completely God. As a case in point, the apostle Paul says that, “there is but one God the Father” (1 Corinthians 8:6). The Father, speaking of the Son, says, “Your throne, O God, will last forever and forever” (Hebrews 1:8). And when Ananias “lied to the Holy Spirit,” Peter points out that he had “not lied to men but to God” (Acts 5:3–4).

https://www.equip.org/bible_answers/is-the-trinity-biblical/

(Tsilise) #3

Thanks SeanO.
Does John 1:1 implicitly affirms Jesus as the Second person in God head as it state, “the word was with God”?
And i would like you to throw some insights on the difference between “being” and “person”.
Thanks a lot.

(SeanO) #4

@Tsilise John 1:1 affirms Jesus as one in Being by saying the ‘Word was God’ and Jesus as distinct in Person by saying the ‘Word was with God in the beginning’.

Saying one being and three persons is an attempt to clearly articulate what Scripture teaches. Admittedly, there is some mystery here - we do not fully understand God, so our definitions are always limited. But below is how Hank Hanegraaff explains being and person in relation to the Trinity.

It is vitally important that we recognize the difference between the words Being and Person. The failure to recognize that the definition given above is using these two terms in different ways is one of the prime reasons for confusion in regard to the Trinity. Being is what makes something what it is. Person is what makes someone who he or she is. As Hank Hanegraaff puts it, when speaking of the Trinity, we speak of one what (the Being of God) and three whos (the three divine Persons). Most cultic rejections of the Trinity focus on blurring this distinction.

https://www.equip.org/article/loving-the-trinity/

(Tsilise) #5

Thanks SeanO. Here is some of my personal reflection.
With all of our logical reasonings and our intellectual prowess, i believe, could never be able to completely comprehend God simply because God is infinite and we Humans are finite being. And I believe the same is true about Godhead which doesn’t seem to be convincingly explained within our finititudes of analogies. And also i believe Faith seems to come to play in this case.
Please do suppliment with your reflections.

(SeanO) #6

@Tsilise That is a good point. I think where I would be cautious is to be clear that we can know certain things about God, but not everything. We can know what God has revealed to us about Himself, but we must be careful when we are trying to reach beyond the revelation we have received. We must be be bold in proclaiming the truth God has revealed while being humble about the truth He has not revealed.

(Tsilise) #7

Its aways been a blessing, dear friend to interact with you. Thank you so much