John: 2:4

(Tsilise) #1

I would like to know exegecies of the verse 4 when Jesus says, “my hours has not yet come”.
Thanks

(SeanO) #2

@Tsilise Throughout the book of John Jesus’ ‘hour’ is the time when He would fulfill His mission to save the world by dying on the cross and rising again.

John 12:23-24 - Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

John 17:1 - After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.

(Tsilise) #3

Thats right. But in one particular scene at village wedding when wine has ran out Jesus’ mother told Jesus about it and Jesus said, in verse 4 “woman, what does your concern have to do with me? my time has not yet come”.
Am bit confused as to why He said that when it was about wine.

(SeanO) #4

@Tsilise Wine was significant in a number of ways. Wine would soon symbolize the blood of Jesus, shed for us. Wine was also a symbol of joy and was required at weddings, so Jesus here saved face for the person who was throwing the wedding. In John, this first miracle could represent that Jesus is the source of joy and life for us - Jesus is the ‘Master of the Feast’ and ‘Lord of the Wine’.

In Jewish thought, wine is a symbol of joy and celebration… In Jon, running out of wine at the Cana wedding may be symbolic of the barrenness of Judaism. Prophetic expectation cast the messianic age as a time when wine would flow freely. At a cultural level, running out of win was considered to be a major social faux pas, sinc the host was responsible to provide the wedding guests with wine for seven days. Zondervan Background Commentary

You might enjoy and benefit from Tim Keller’s sermon on this passage - I believe he addresses this question as well: