Join Us In Prayer: Lord, Save Us from Ourselves: A Prayer for Justice and Peace

Ravi Zacharias penned this prayer on July 8, 2016, after tragic events in Louisiana, Minnesota, and Dallas. His words of lament and hope were both timely and timeless, even as we mourn current examples of evil and injustice in our nation such as the recent killings of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, and Breonna Taylor.

At RZIM we are committed to carrying on Ravi’s legacy and example of being a peacemaker in the midst of polarizing times, and pointing people to the source of hope and justice amid the shock and heartbreak of this cultural moment.

Join us in praying for justice and peace at this time, and that God will once again bring beauty from the ashes:

God, our heavenly Father, our minds go back to the day when Jesus knelt beside his beloved city and wept, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes” (Luke 19:42).

We sense so deeply the same reality. We weep for our cities even as we bury our dead. The sound of gunfire is the grim sound of what has already shattered our relationships. We are witnesses of distrust, revenge, and anger. We see no one to lead us and guide us. To whom shall we go?

Read the full prayer at our website:

As we pray and lament together, I invite you to share your own reflections and prayers in response.

8 Likes

Thank you for this Carson. I feel heart broken that the life of another person who is the image bearer of God is not given the respect and compassion that Jesus showed us when He went to the cross.
I know this is foremost on your mind in the U.S.A. at this time, but all over the world this type of drama plays out when one is the oppressed, and the other is the oppressor. May God have mercy on us .

3 Likes

@CarsonWeitnauer I am trusting and waiting with great expectation when as a nation we begin moving from revenge and hate to forgiveness and solution. I know many may feel it is too soon to speak of forgiveness. But how else can we be angry and sin not?

My heart embraces my country in hope and prayer. And because no soul is disposable, as they pay the price for their behavior; love must also be extended to the officers, the looters, rioters, haters. How to love the unlovely is found in the heart of the Creator who never loses sight of our value. No matter how ungodly we behave.

6 Likes