Joseph. Father of Jesus

(Leticia Naidoo) #1

Hi. One of my Sunday School students asked me this and I don’t really have an answer and I struggle to find one from a reliable source. The question is “Where was Joseph the father of Jesus during his crucifixion”

3 Likes
(Melvin Greene) #2

That is a great question @Leticia.

I wish I had a great answer! Joseph seems to disappear from the narrative in all four gospels.
I’ve read some commentaries that suggest Joseph died sometime before the crucifixion. Some evidence that would back that up would be when Jesus was on the cross he told John to take care of his mother. So, that is about as far as I know. Maybe someone else has more info.

6 Likes
(Cameron Kufner) #3

Looking through the thread. I never thought about that possibility, @Melvin_Greene ! And the example of Jesus on the cross telling John to take care of his mother could be telling us that Joseph did die before Jesus was crucified.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #4

@Leticia I agree with @Melvin_Greene - thought this article provided a few additional Biblical references where Joseph is missing that indicate he likely had died.

In addition to those, when Jesus’ family confronted Him, His father was not there…

Matthew 12:46-50 - While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

• Joseph was not mentioned at the wedding in Cana (John 2:1-12)
  • Joseph is not mentioned here - “Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us?” (Matthew 13:55-56)
  • And, of course, Jesus commanded John to take care of Mary (John 19:26-27), so one must assume Joseph was not present
3 Likes