Jude 1-22

In jude 1-22 he tells the believers to be merciful to those who doubt. Is he speaking of those who follow the false teachers or the teachers himself. His whole letter is describing a not so merful faite for these people of what is to come so I’m wondering if it is hypocritical or is it OK because this isn’t him doing it its just punishment from God

1 Like

@Michael_Ryan I think the point is that we, who have been shown God’s mercy, should have mercy on others who are lost in sin. We too were sinners once and it is only God’s mercy that saved us. Just has God has forgiven us, we should forgive others.

I do not think the false teachers were in view here mainly because it appears they have set themselves against God. If they did want to follow the truth, of course they could receive mercy. But the implication of the text is that the false teachers have no desire to return to what is true.

Jude 21-23 - keep yourselves in the love of God, expecting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ for eternal life. Have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; have mercy on others but with fear, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Titus 3:3-8 - At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

Joining a fear of God to mercy is an important balance when involved in disciplinary action. On the one hand, being merciful without fear can turn to unwarranted sympathy for the individual, absolving him of personal responsibility, but fearing God without showing mercy can turn into personal judgment and condemnation.

2 Likes

Thanks I follow. Great explanation as always.

1 Like

@Michael_Ryan Glad to hear :slight_smile: