Kathy Anderegg

Hello, RZIM family and seekers. I look forward to the privilege of getting to know you as we learn from each other and grow as the Holy Spirit leads us.

I am a 62 y.o. single, retired medical doctor (pathologist) and biology professor from Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A. I was invited to join Connect by Carson Weitnauer. In addition to degrees in biology and medicine, I have graduate degrees in ethics and in Christian counseling, and have lived my entire life with a life-threatening immune deficiency and the last 40 years with multiple autoimmune diseases. Thus I have experience as both a patient and as a caregiver, and as both a student and a teacher that may be helpful in discussions on RZIM Connect.

I hope to contribute by: 1. Addressing scientific and ethical questions that may arise, and directing questioners to other believers expert in the sciences who are better qualified to do so when a question exceeds the limits of my own knowledge. 2. Encouraging those struggling with issues of suffering, fear of dying, loneliness and mental illnesses, such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Helping others learn through the suffering God permits in their lives and aiding them in getting past anger, grief and disappointment to grow closer to Him. 3. Offering possibly helpful orthodox perspectives on certain troubling Old Testament passages that, at first glance, seem to portray God as harsh, arbitrary, cruel, or anti-woman, e.g., ordering infants and animals killed when a city is put to the ban (destroyed as a burnt offering to God), saying women are unclean after bearing a child, and ordering the Israelites not to wear clothing made of blended fabrics or to get tattoos. (I am also hoping to gain insights from other believers on the passages that remain problematic for me.) My Old Testament professor at seminary had doctorates in both Semitic languages and Biblical archeology and is considered one of the world’s experts in both areas. He was (and is) a gold mine of valuable insights on the history, politics, customs, language and thought processes of the people of the Biblical world that I would love to share with others. His phenomenal teaching radically enhanced my understanding not just of the Old Testament, but of the goodness of God. The Old Testament no longer seems so disconnected from the New. Studying the books of the Old Testament has been much more fruitful and enjoyable and much less frustrating and bewildering since I took his classes. Many others have likely experienced similar confusion when approaching parts of the Old Testament. By sharing the things that I have learned from my professor and from other experts whose writings I have studied, perhaps greater clarity can be attained and, with it, a greater appreciation of God’s wonderful, loving character.

11 Likes

@Kathya1010 Nice to meet you!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Welcome Kathy to this wonderful fruit filled forum. I can sympathize with your autoimmune disease, my wife of 40 years has and had to varying degrees several different attacks plus a chronic rheumatoid arthritis issue. God has brought her through some difficult times, praise the Lord.
I am certain with your help there will be many great conversations were we all shall grow in our knowledge of the TRUTH. Thanks to Carson for inviting you, looking forward to your input.
MIKE

2 Likes

Wow! We are certainly thankful to have you here. There was so much profoundness and so much inspiration in your introduction. First, I would like to say how much I admire your heart in wanting to take your own suffering, lean into it, learn from it and help others through it. I am sitting here thinking to myself “now this is a person I would love to sit down with and just listen.” I am positive, that as you engage here, you will be able to speak to so many hurting people.
Addressing the difficulty in understanding the Old Testament is something I could certainly glean from. I could say so much more.

This speaks volumes to me.

God bless you @Kathya1010, I am looking forward to more of your profound insight.
Much Love :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you, Mike. Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the autoimmune diseases that I have. I couldn’t take the regular medications, which are all immunosuppressants, but mine responded to, of all things, evening primrose oil. If I stop taking it, I get inflamed joints and knee effusions, but as long as I take it, I do okay. It also helps my Sjogren’s syndrome. I wish it worked for everyone—it is inexpensive and has few side effects—but, unfortunately, it doesn’t. (My two sisters-in-law both have RA and tried it, but it didn’t help them.) I am so sorry that your wife has had to deal with this issue, and want to thank you for standing by your wife. (90% of husbands don’t, according to the most recent statistics.) God can get one through anything, and will.

Thank you for your kind words, Sieglinde! I hope that I can live up to your expectations, and that you are still wanting to listen once I get rolling, as my brothers say that I tend to talk too much.

2 Likes

Hi Kathy,

Nice to meet you. You have a lot of good experience and knowledge. I pray that Jesus heals you totally because by His stripes we are healed!

-Armando

1 Like

Well, I have friends and a husband who would say the same of me :smile: so roll on!

1 Like

Welcome back, Katherine @kathya1010 its a delight to have you join us again.
Blessings

1 Like

Thank you, Armando. I appreciate your prayers.

Thank you, John Michael. I have been more or less out of commission for much of the last two years as I recovered from several rounds of surgery. God was gracious and all were successful.

1 Like

Hi @Kathya1010! Kathy, nice to meet you and welcome to RZIM Connect! I am also pretty new to connect, and have a degree in biology as well.
I love what you shared about the Old Testament and your personal and professional background, and I’m looking forward to learning from your background and experiences!
Indra

1 Like

Nice to meet you too, Indra! Where did you get your biology degree? Did you focus on a particular area of study?

2 Likes

Such a joy to have you here Kathy.

1 Like

Welcome @Kathya1010! I look forward to your contributions!

1 Like

So sorry about your husband’s RA! Evening primrose oil helped my RA, thank goodness (I can’t take immunosuppressive medications), but it doesn’t work for everyone. I have taken 3 grams a day for the last 30 years and about a third of my RA patients responded to it at that dose.

Did you meet him here?

1 Like

@Kathya1010, I am so grateful that you have decided to join Connect! You bring an incredible wealth of personal experiences and formal study that will be a great blessing to our discussions. I look forward to learning from you and growing together to maturity in Christ.

Welcome!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Carson. I wasn’t aware that the answers to the questions would be made available to everyone. I hope they didn’t come across as boastful. I just was trying to convince you, and myself, that I might be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you Kathya. Wife tried the biologics but had adverse pulmonary side effects and cant take them anymore. Celebrated 40 years this past October, praise the Lord. if not for Jesus, Prayer and my strong forgiving Christian wife I would have been destroyed long ago. Praying for you.
Mike

1 Like