Kaylah the 2D Animator From Arizona!

Hello! My name is Kaylah Rasmussen and I am a freelance 2D animator living in Tucson, AZ, USA. I’ve been a part of this community for awhile, but haven’t been as active in it as I could be (just as well I’ve never officially introduced myself!) I am hoping to get further involved and join in the discussions more. I look forward to interacting with everyone!

6 Likes

@Kaylah Nice to meet you!

3 Likes

Nice to meet you too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Kaylah, it’s so nice to meet you! Our family is headed to Tucson from southern Indiana as I type this. We plan to spend a couple of weeks visiting with my daughter and her family who live there. We love Arizona! I am glad you have introduced yourself and hope you can find more time to be part of the discussions here. It’s such a great place to learn but I must admit I also find it fun interacting with so many Christians on such a variety of topics. I’ve never had an opportunity like this and am thankful for Connect. I hope you are just as blessed!:blush:

4 Likes

Hi @Kaylah, thank you for introducing yourself :slight_smile: Welcome back. I look forward to reading your perspective in some of the conversations. Take care :pray:

4 Likes

Hello Kaylah, feel free to engage at whatever level you choose. How much you engage is up to you, I have not felt anything but encouragement from each encounter i contributed to. Blessings to you.
Mike

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @Kaylah. It’s very good to have you joining from Arizona. I get to leave for Phoenix on Saturday for a week. Both my boys live there along with our grandson. Thank you for electing to introduce yourself. I hope you do get involved as I think that you will be glad that you did. The things learned and shared here are awesome. God-bless you and your journey.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I didn’t realize there were so many people who had connections to Arizona on here as well. I am looking forward to getting to hear your questions and maybe respond to a few as well!

4 Likes

Hi @Kaylah,

I’m grateful you have joined the community! You bring so much experience to us. I look forward to learning from your contributions and being encouraged to love God and my neighbor more because of you!

Also - any cool animations you can share with us?

3 Likes

Thanks @CarsonWeitnauer! I do have some animations I’ve put into a reel. Whether they’re cool is up for you to decide haha. I’m excited to be more involved with this community!

3 Likes

Wow, it is amazing how you got so much personality and expression depicted in these examples!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been trying hard to make the characters feel like real people and I am glad that got conveyed. Thank you for asking to see my animations!

2 Likes

Very cool. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome Kaylah,

I am glad you are back and wanting to engage in discussions on Connect.

Tell me a little about 2D animations and what inspires you to create :parrot:

2 Likes

Hi Roseann @HopeforLife1,

Thanks for the welcome back!

Ah, it’s such a long story, but I will keep it short as much as I can. What inspires me to create 2D animations is a desire to share God’s love with the forgotten and the hurting people of the world. I want to create films that allows me to mentor, encourage, and be friends with people who have no one else to reach out to them. I want to share a small sliver of hope that someone out there loves them and that they can reach out to God today to find hope in their situations.

I’ve had a pretty crazy childhood, but one of the most defining traits of it was how lonely and worthless I felt. I felt incredibly unloved, unwanted, and not good enough no matter what I did. I moved way too often to have friends and was only bullied everywhere I went, including by my own family. Books and films were an escape, but what really saved me was God. I became super suicidal in 5th grade and felt like no one loved me, and asked God if He even loved me and I flipped open to a random page. And in His word, I found encouragement that my sins as a child were forgiven and that I was loved (in the Psalms no less). I know so many other people who are suffering in silence who say nothing about how they feel and only reach out to books and movies for solace. I at least could turn to God, but many do not think or know they can turn to Him. So using my other major source of relief as a child, I want to teach people about God and his character through film so they get to experience that love as well.

To me, 2D animations are a vehicle through the back door of the imagination. They suspend disbelief and allow you to play with ideas that you normally would never allow yourself to play with. It allows you to be philosophical without any repercussions or scorn from others. In other words, it allows you to be a child again. Not only do I think they are a great way to reach people, but I also believe 2D animation is a beautiful and masterful art form that is a sight to behold. It takes such mastery and skill of many years to be remotely good enough to be a traditional 2D animator. Like the drawings you would see in Mulan or the Lion King. It’s mind blowing what people can do and I hope that I can get to being as good as those animators to not only be a representative that Christians can be some of the best artists, but that I want create world-class films to reach more people. Even if I can never be as good as a Disney animator, I don’t want to settle for being ‘just good enough’. I want to bring God glory through my skills as an artist.

I apologize for the long response, but that is why I do animation and what 2D animation I’d like to do. I don’t know if I answered your questions properly, but please let me know if I did or did not! I appreciate your inquiry!

3 Likes

Kaylah,

I appreciated the the length of your response, sometimes we need a bit of a back story to value the one that lies ahead of us.

Your opening paragraph was so impassioned.

Your 2D animation gives you the creative outlet to encourage people that others may miss, I think that is absolutely inspiring.

Thank you so much for sharing and keep me posted on your work. :tulip:

2 Likes