Kerchief on women

(Beny Crestin) #1

I have a question. I am listening to Hillsong Songs and showed some my friends who are very traditional. They asked me why Hillsong womens do not wear kerchief according to 1. Korinther 11. So I am struggling right now? Should women wear one?

Thanks

Benjamin CrestinR

1 Like
(Kathleen) #2

Hello, @Beny_Crestin! Thanks for the question, and I just wanted to kick things off by linking you to a similar conversation we had several weeks ago on here…

@Nathan_Rittenhouse, one of RZIM’s itinerant speakers, weighs in at one point with some food for thought. :slight_smile: Happy reading!

2 Likes
(SeanO) #3

@Beny_Crestin In addition to the thread @KMac provided, I think it is important to remember that not all Christian teachings are of equal importance. Whether or not women wear head coverings is not an absolute (as defined in the article below), but rather a conviction or an opinion. Sincere Christians disagree on how to interpret 1 Corinthians 11 and the issue of head coverings.

Therefore, we should each obey our own conscience on this matter and respect the consciences of those with whom we disagree. If someone feels they should wear a head covering, then it is okay for them to do so, but they should not force other people to do so. Likewise, if someone feels freedom not to wear a head covering, that is okay, but they should not force someone else not to wear one.

I would put head coverings in the same category as considering one day more sacred than others or eating meat sacrificed to idols. So we can follow Paul’s advice in Romans 14 in how we treat our brothers and sisters with respect and, whichever view we take, we seek to honor the Lord with our perspective and actions.

Romans 14:5-6 - One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Levels of Doctrine

Not all doctrine is equally important. Some beliefs are at the very center of our Christian faith and to deny them is to deny Christ. Other beliefs are important to how we practice our faith and are therefore the cause of disagreement between many denominations, but these beliefs do not place us outside of Christ. Still other doctrines, such as eschatology, are difficult even for very learned and godly people to understand clearly and are therefore a matter of opinion.

The below article offers a fuller explanation of levels of doctrine and gives a helpful summary list of 4 levels of doctrine.

1. absolutes define the core beliefs of the Christian faith;
  2. convictions , while not core beliefs, may have significant impact on the health and effectiveness of the church;
  3. opinions are less-clear issues that generally are not worth dividing over; and
  4. questions are currently unsettled issues.

Where an issue falls within these categories should be determined by weighing the cumulative force of at least seven considerations:

1. biblical clarity;
  2. relevance to the character of God;
  3. relevance to the essence of the gospel;
  4. biblical frequency and significance (how often in Scripture it is taught, and what weight Scripture places upon it);
  5. effect on other doctrines;
  6. consensus among Christians (past and present); and
  7. effect on personal and church life.