Kevin Stophel Introduction

Hello to all!

I live with my family in Chattanooga, Tennessee in the southeast part of the USA. My wife is Nikki and we have 2 sons in college and a daughter in middle school. We love soccer/futbol and like to attend live matches and watch games on TV as well. I’ve enjoyed the entry-level apologetics course and look forward to learning more, both from the courses and the community.

Looking forward to learning from and growing with you all…

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @kumquat. You took the core module? Glad to have you with us. Almost empty nesters but not quite. My wife and I are into 13 years of empty nest now. I hope you are able to share your experiences with the members here… I am sure that will be a blessing to many. God-bless you and your journey.

4 Likes

Hello, Kevin, and welcome to Connect! :slight_smile: I’m excited too hear your family has a leader who is dedicated to knowing Christ more deeply.

3 Likes

Hello Kevin, I’m glad you liked the apologetics course. What was particularly interesting for you and were you able to put some of it into practice? Connect is ideal for deepening the content and learning further. Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Thanks, Daniel!

I liked the critical thinking into issues expanded from core topics. The question, for instance, of whether lying to save someone’s life is the Christian thing to do? Such makes one wrestle with real-world, thorny issues that don’t have easy answers. I enjoyed exploring those the most from the course.

You?

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated!

3 Likes

Finished up the core module with the last group. Was good material. Found the worldview interviews really interesting and helpful. Looking forward to learning more through this community…

3 Likes

That is awesome. Such a great course. I have gone back through it couple times. :slight_smile: I hope you get an opportunity to check out some of the electives. Bible elective rocks. Thanks for letting me know – let me know if there is anything I can do to help your experience here. Kel.

2 Likes

Hello, Kevin! Welcome to Connect. So glad you have joined us. I am originally from Memphis, so it’s good to have another Tennessean on here as well! You say you like to watch football (of the soccer variety), and I’m wondering if you’re a Chattahooligan? :grin: I was in Chattanooga visiting my brother and his family last month, and we went to a CFC game there at Finlay Stadium. We had SO much fun! I loved watching the Hooligans do their thing. Plus CFC won, so it was a good night all around. Ha!

3 Likes

Hey! I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the course as it’s something I’m looking into! What did you enjoy most? What was most challenging?

2 Likes

Hey Kathleen! We are CFC shareholders, although my daughter plays for the local professional team’s academy, the Red Wolves. We do travel to Memphis for state-league games. My son’s college is in the same league as Christian Brothers and I think he plays in Memphis in November against them. We like Memphis, although it’s a long drive across the state. Where r I based now?

3 Likes

Erika, I believe it was time we’ll spent. If you are a significant RZIM material consumer, then segments of the program will be repeat performances. But, I found a lot of new material I had not seen before. The discussion forums were choppy - difficult to share thoughts on deep issues without getting carpal tunnel. Many did not actively participate in them. But, the material followed by engagement interviews I found quite helpful. Good program for lay leaders or non-seminarians called to engage the world, I think.

Hope that is helpful!

3 Likes

Hi @kumquat, welcome to connect! I love the Tennessee area. My husband and I have taken many motorcycle rides through Tennessee. Beautiful landscape :evergreen_tree:
Enjoy browsing through the topics and engaging in the conversations

3 Likes

That’s so great! I played club soccer (Memphis Futbol Club) from age 11 until I was 16, so I know how the travelling thing goes. Decided that I wanted to actually enjoy doing lots of other things my last 2 years of high school and college years, so I dropped it. :smile:

I am now based over in the UK. I came to Oxford 4 years ago to do the OCCA programme and have yet to leave. Ha! I worked 2 years with a local church plant here and am now back in school studying theology and counselling. I love it here, but do see myself eventually making it back to the States. But I will enjoy it whilst I can!

3 Likes

The Oxford program is a bucket list item for me but don’t know, if I’ll ever be able to make it work. Glad it has been an option for u and also glad u are able to help out in the local body there. Too often, I think, those that pursue knowledge don’t engage much with others to have what they have learned flow through them to others. The Christ Life isn’t about what we know but about what we become in Him and because of that change what we can be to others. The difference between propositional and relational. It’s a wonderful thing that u r both!

3 Likes

Thanks so much!

Hello kumquat,
Welcome to RZIM Connect. I am a new member of this exciting group as well. I have 3 weeks left before I too complete the RZIM Core Module apologetics course. I look forward to your comments, and sharing our experiences with one another.
Blessings,
MAP

1 Like

Wow. You’ve really dealt with difficult questions. I also liked the discussions about the lectures. E.g. once the topic was: creation and evolution. Similar to here:

That was quite interesting. Very helpful for me was also the overview of the different world views and their answers to the most important questions.

2 Likes

This was such a great reminder/encouragement for me to read this afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to reply as you did! I live in a city that prioritises the propositional, and it’s easy to get lost in basing your identity in how much you know. :slight_smile: Blessings to you, Kevin!

2 Likes