Learning to accept God’s Will

I still fail at accepting God’s Will (Learning) I think/thought conversion meant no more struggle with sin. Though I’m beginning to understand that though my addictions haven’t been removed. I see that they serve in God’s continued redemption of my/our souls hallelujah! I’m clothed in Jesus righteousness. Repentance and confession is a continual process through which we grow closer to God! Hallelujah!

6 Likes

Hi Chad,
Hang in there brother. The renewing of our minds is a process. While we do become new creatures when we receive the Lord our circumstances and thinking don’t change over night. We are completely forgiven and washed clean but there may be a harvest to go through from previously planted seeds while we plant new, good seeds and watch for them to grow and be harvested. When I was in your position and had MANY bad habits that I needed to delete, I began to change who I was associating with and tried to get as involved in my church as possible. I attended men’s functions, played basketball with church guys and became an usher. Association is incredibly powerful. It can be frustrating to know that God CAN do anything that He chooses to do and if He doesn’t, to feel unqualified or condemned…DO NOT do this to yourself. God loves you and He WILL SEE YOU THROUGH! God Bless

6 Likes

Hi Chad. I praise God for His righteousness that covers you. Unfortunately, I think many new Christians get discouraged when their sins don’t go away after being saved. In fact, they usually become more pronounced because Satan, the great adversary, desires to make us lose faith and hope. He came to Jesus at His most vulnerable time. He will hit you where you are most vulnerable. Christ answered every deceit of Satan’s temptations with The Word. I encourage you to stay close to Scripture. It’s through Scripture we learn to become strong and can read of Paul’s dilemma in Romans 7:15-24. He did the things he didn’t want to do, and didn’t do the things he knew he should. Then he cried out, “Oh, wretched man that I am. Who will deliver me from this death!?” So, if Paul, the great apostle who wrote so many books in the New Testament, struggled, we can expect the same. The good news is that Paul didn’t leave us dangling without an answer. The answer is found in knowing Jesus deeply. So keep that goal of being an overcomer of your addictions in front of you. As you grow closer to Christ, the old will pass away and the new will take over.

4 Likes

Thank You both for response. I know my flesh isn’t going to get better. Romans 7:7-25. We/I’m waiting for a redemption that is primarily future. I think a lot of my thinking comes from early formed thought patterns of what I expected the conversion “experience” to be like. It’s hard because I want to be a witness to those around me and most people/myself have expectations of change. This comes from the new and growing desire to reach others for Christ. :cry: (Primarily Family) Have to trust God will bring them to Himself! I can’t do it! :pray:

3 Likes

I had similar thoughts when I was saved. Took me many years to accept that it’s a journey - as long as I submit myself to God and let Him do the work on me I get changed step by step. I’ll never get perfect (at least not here on Earth :wink: ) but looking back now I am so amazed about God’s workmanship in and on me!
For me one of the hardest concept was to accept that God knows it better: what to change in me and when the time is perfect for it. There have been things I thought to get rid off in a blink, still was 10+ years. And now I understand why He waited so long with those…
So I’d just encourage you to keep walking with God, and praising Him for what He had already done for you, in you and through you! This verse came into my mind (emphasis added by me)
“He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”” (Psalms 46:10)
Blessings
a.

5 Likes

We all want to encourage you @Chad.Berry. You are in His grip and He won’t let go.

We all need to be reminded, all the time, that it’s not us that wins people to Christ, but the Holy Spirit. It’s the very power of God that attracts a person and melts their hardened hearts. We are so blessed that God allows us to play our part in it, but we must rely totally on him.

We are seed planters. God waters, germinates, cultivates, and brings the fruit to harvest. Take heart, planting seeds is kingdom work and stay with it.

I think most of us will tell you that family is usually the toughest. In John 15 we are told, “abide in me.” Notice that we are not commanded to bear fruit. We are commanded to “abide.” If we abide, then we will bear fruit. It’s as simple and complicated as that. :crazy_face:

Have you heard of “Celebrate Recovery.” Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered, 12 step recovery program for anyone struggling with hurt, pain or addiction of any kind. There are groups all over the country. You can find the location nearest you on their website: https://www.celebraterecovery.com/

God bless you, Chad. Since you are a beloved of God, an heir of salvation, and purchased by His blood, we’re standing on the promise that His work will be completed in you (see Philippians 1:6). That in the not too distant future you will look back and see how far you have come.

So let your light shine, brother. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Eph 3:20-21)

1 Like

Hi Chad @Chad.Berry I’ve been thinking about your post and keep wanting to come back with some other thoughts. 1Cor.10:13 tells us that there is no temptation that we can’t overcome because God has provided a way of escape. May I suggest that each time you feel tempted toward your addiction, that you view it instead as the Holy Spirit calling you away from that temptation; that it is God’s signal to you to call on Him for the thoughts going through your mind that you are struggling with.

I was listening to a radio broadcast sermon today by Dr. David Jeremiah who is doing a series based on 2 Pet. 1. Today he focused on the aspect of self-control in vs 5. I thought it would be excellent encouragement for you. https://www.davidjeremiah.org/radio/player?id=3063.
I hope you will gain strength from what Dr. Jeremiah has to say.
God’s will is for you to be whole. 1Thes. 5:23-24.

1 Like