Let be vs pursue

Hi RZIM fam, alright my question is when do you pursue to help people come to Christ vs let them be to see how the world is out there in hopes they will come back one day. It could be family or close friends. Some people have it all or have been privileged from the care of others to not have suffered in a major way or have not had encounter with the world in a deep sense that they are just living their life the way they want to and they really dont see the “need for God.” Do you just watch them or pursue them. It is like the prodigal son. He left. Sure he came back, but do all people get the chance to come back? It is like a mother who is so scared that something will happen to her child that she will enable him to be that way (spoil and ignorant) vs letting her/him go taste the world and have appreciation for what they had. And what if they never come back…

It’s a dilemma. Love to hear your thoughts.

God Bless.

1 Like

Hi Dan

Your question is certainly a hard one. I know times of failed ‘God’ conversations with people that I knew well, that have resulted in a real block to further engagement on the topic. In my experience, if the person does not want to have a discussion about God or it is apparent that they really are not in a place where they are desiring truth, then it is normally best to give them space. It is important in those times that whoever you speak with, that they know that you care about them and are happy to listen to any questions they may have when they feel comfortable. The Prodigal son story is a great example of the father allowing the son to leave, but always waiting and hoping for his return. Another scripture that helps me with this question is in John.

John 6: 60-66: When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this? Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.

The passage reaffirms a few things to me. It is God who always ultimately saves people. If some of Jesus’ followers walked away from His teaching, then some will walk away when we teach. And lastly, when they walked away from Jesus, Jesus did not run after them but let them go. I acknowledge that this is not always the case and discernment is needed in hearing the voice of God and knowing His will. But scripture does support letting the person who rejects Christ to choose his or her own path.

But like you Dan I would love to hear others thoughts :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Hey Brian @Brian_Upsher, thank you for your response. But it is interesting that you mention the following.

Does God hold back his revelation to a person or not grant him to come to him? I wonder what he means. Does it depend on us? on how receptive we are? Because God wants ever soul saved and yes people will choose not to go to God but it is hard to understand or process. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Dan

Yes, I agree that the scripture in John 6 is an interesting passage to think on and try to gain understanding. Like much of scripture, I think it is always best to read in a wider and fuller context. Knowing aspects of God through General/ Natural revelation, is something that has always been available for all people to be able to have a confidence in their belief that God exists. However, as Jesus said in John 6:65, I don’t think we can come to a more intimate revelatory knowledge of God by purely intellectual or observational pursuit alone. God has made it such that we need His supernatural intervention through Special revelation, in order that faith may find a firm foundation in His grace.

Ephesian 2: 8-9: For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Now of course, it is possible that even if we come to Christ through the Father’s drawing, it still doesn’t mean we can’t reject Him and decide to follow our own path. So, Scripture does confirm that we have our part to play in choosing to seek and to believe in Christ, but our pursuit alone will not achieve this without God’s gift and supernatural work in our lives.

I am sure others will have thoughts on the subject as it is a big question that has divided Christian’s theological viewpoints for a long time. Having a slow read through Romans chapters 9-11 may also give some further thought for reflection :slightly_smiling_face:. I would be keen to hear if you have any further thoughts on the question yourself as well Dan?

2 Likes

A simple answer is to be lead by the Holy Spirit . We want to use discernment and align with God’s timing and will for each person; His discretion. When we seek the face of God, His Spirit speaks and guides us. When we ask for His wisdom, He ALWAYS gives it.

2 Likes

Hey Brian @Brian_Upsher , Thank you for your response. Yes zooming out always helps. It is actually interesting, with few friends, we are reading “The great divorce” by C.S. Lewis and so we had a discussion that reminded me what you said. The question a friend raised was “Has there not been a time where Lucifer, the devil repented, and asked for forgiveness from God?” The interesting conclusion or answer we came upto was that while we are on earth, the holy spirit is here with us and we benefit from the by product of God’s presence even when we are not a believer. But after death, we are separated from God if we didnt choose him. We will believe he is real then, but we wont have the benefit any longer, so it will even be impossible (maybe) to repent, because our heart cant be humbled. Same with the devil. But God reaching out to us to change us everyday, knocking on our door today, will helps us turn our ways to him.

I hope that make sense.
Thanks for your reply brother.

1 Like