Life after death

There is a lot of conflicts sadly between Evangelical Christians vs Seven-Day Adventists between this question so here it is:

Do we immediately go to heaven after we die or have a sleeping period before we are resurrected during the rapture?

I personally believe that we immediately go to heaven because of what Paul says, and to say that Paul is wrong is like saying that half of the New Testament is wrong. Usually, the Seven-Day Adventists would go to the verses or chapters in Revelation 20 and ask what it means about the first and second resurrection, but personally, I believe that after our body dies physically, but our spirit goes to heaven, and when since our body is “asleep”, it will be resurrected into a glorified body when the first resurrection happens. Feel free to correct me, but I feel like it’s like when Jesus died physically, but his spirit conquered the grave thus giving himself a new resurrected glorified body.

1 Like

Aw… for some reason I can’t edit my post, but I meant to ask what y’alls opinions are on this topic.

Good question, @ljhan40. I believe the view you have expressed as your own is right on target. The body sleeps, but not the soul.

II Corinthians 5:8 reveals that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Hebrews 11 describes the saints who were saved by faith from the time of Abel until the end of the Old Testament. Then Hebrews 12:1, speaking of those departed Old Testament saints, calls them a cloud of witnesses that surround us. He’s using the familiar imagery of a Roman arena with grandstands full of spectators cheering the athletes running in the race below. Obviously, this cloud of witnesses is not asleep!

When Jesus described the rich man and Lazarus in their respective afterlives in the end of Luke 16, they were both very much awake and aware of all that was happening around them.

I hope this will help you.

2 Likes

@ljhan40. This topic can be confusing. But, I agree with Pastor Lyons @jlyons and you. I will add another example of the thief on the cross. Jesus told him, “…today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43)
Paul describes the return of Christ at the Rapture as Christ’s bringing the saints with Him who have fallen asleep in Him. Yet, their bodies will be resurrected ahead of those who are still alive. Therefore, the implication is that it is the spirits of those who have previously died who are returning with Jesus, and that they will be reunited with their bodies, only in a glorified form (1Thes. 4:13-18).

Hope this adds clarity for you.

1 Like